cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Developer Studio 7.3 backward compatible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone:

I am attempting to use NWDS 7.3 to import DCs built on and running from a NW 7.0 stack. Everything runs smoothly using Studio 7.0, but from Studio 7.3, I get the following error message after attempting to import DCs from my NWDI server:

! Some Infrastructure Servers cannot be contacted

Plug-in ID: com.sap.ide.dii05.ui

Error code: 0

Exception Stack Trace: (this is blank)

When I look more closely at the DC import wizard details, Studio 7.3 fails to connect to the CBS, but successfully reaches SLD and DTR. Yet when I try to logon to the very same CBS URL it's using with my browser, I can access CBS just fine.

Have any of you seen this error or know how to fix it?

I've encountered enough postings in this forum to know that most of you strongly encourage us to keep the versions of Netweaver underlying both NWDI & NWDS in synch. My BASIS team has no plans to upgrade our NWDI stack, but I'd really like to upgrade my version of NWDS (more features, hopefully better performance) even if they do nothing.

I've seen a lot of emails explaining how to migrate NWDI projects from NW 7.0 to newer versions, but nothing regarding the backward compatibility of newer Studio versions for maintaining projects built and running on lower Netweaver stacks and versions. Is something like this even feasible?

If so, I'm hoping I overlooked some obvious & easy tweak to my Studio 7.3 configuration. Please let me know if otherwise.

Thanks,

Jon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you have nw7.3 server, then you go with nwds7.3

you cannot use nwds7.3 to develop and deploy to nw7.0

regarding nwdi, it can be used to develop nw7.3 stuff although its version is nw7.x.

Edited by: John Wu on Aug 11, 2011 6:37 AM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Short answer is no. Every SC track on any given NWDI server can each be for a different Netweaver version, but each track would then require the corresponding NWDS to continue developing each.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

did the referred thread help to you?

Thanks and Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin, John:

Yes, both your answers and referred to thread were helpful. I was hoping for something else, but I guess I shouldn't be suprised. I will continue to use Studio 7.0 to develop my NW 7.0 components.

Thanks,

Jon

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

see also this thread which hopefully sheds some light on this topic:

Best Regards,

Ervin