cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your take on SAP on Oracle ASM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to have your opinion on SAP on Oracle-ASM, generally in the following questions.

1. For single database installation (non-RAC) of new SAP installation is it worth the effort? since currently SAPINST does not support direct installation to Oracle-ASM, we have to migrate the database.

In whitepaper *Moving your database to Oracle 11gR2 ASM", oracle said:

This makes 11gR2 ASM the preferred storage platform for SAP running on Oracle

Real Application Clusters *as well as for SAP systems running on a single instance

Oracle Database.*

2. Is it possible to do SAP-Oracle administration as usual? backup, restore, tablespaces, even migration? Or is it a whole new concept when using Oracle-ASM?

Thanks a lot for any information and opinion.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>> 1. For single database installation (non-RAC) of new SAP installation is it worth the effort? since currently SAPINST does not support direct installation to Oracle-ASM, we have to migrate the database.

I didn't experienced Oracle ASM on the single database installation but I heard that it is worthy, if you are planning to run on raw device. From my personal perspective, even br*tool functons are in the development phase, I don't prefer to run my productive systems on ASM.

>> 2. Is it possible to do SAP-Oracle administration as usual? backup, restore, tablespaces, even migration? Or is it a whole new concept when using Oracle-ASM?

If ASM running on raw devices, you will not be able to have a direct access to the Oracle datafiles. If you are not planning to make an adnvanced configuraton, br*tools will handle ASM without any additional effort. But it will require more effort for the advanced operations.

In summary, I would rather to keep current FS structure, if I am planning to use ASM on single instance on productive system. But, this is my personel point of view. RAC + ASM is a different issue

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Orkun for your information.

It helps.

Answers (0)