cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Java version to use as administrator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Probably this question is silly, but I'm facing many problems working with Java and the different products related to my tasks as sysadmin. In my PC I need java 1.4.2.12 to be installed for Download Manager (with other versions it simply doesn't work), but I also need version 6 so as to access the different functions in SAP PI 7.10.

I have tried using Java Web Start to deactivate the version I don't need at a certain moment, but I had no success and I still have problems. Right now I had to de-install Java6 so as to download a SP Stack.

How are you dealing with this problem?

Thanks and Regards

Francisco

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Finally the SAP Support gave me a solution. You have to edit the SAP DownloadManager configuration placed in (typically):

c:\Program Files\SAP Download Manager\Download Manager.lax

Edit the .lax file and find the following section:

1. LAX.NL.CURRENT.VM

Edit the parameter as follows:

1. LAX.NL.CURRENT.VM

2. -----------------

3. the VM to use for the next launch

lax.nl.current.vm=C:
Program Files
Java
j2re1.4.2_12
bin
java.exe

Note: (the backslashes are double in the parameter value)

Close the file and that's all.

This way you'll force Download Manager to use that JRE version, no matter if you have more recent versions installed in your computer.

Hope this helps someone.

Best Regards

Francisco

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Probably this question is silly, but I'm facing many problems working with Java and the different products related to my tasks as sysadmin. In my PC I need java 1.4.2.12 to be installed for Download Manager (with other versions it simply doesn't work), but I also need version 6 so as to access the different functions in SAP PI 7.10.

I'm running the Download Manager with Java 5 and Java 6 (on another machine) without problems...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Probably you don't have a user autenticated proxy, but I do. According to the Download Manager requirements:

Download Manager Requirements

Are you required to use User Authenticated Proxy? (Please ask your system administrator whether this is required or not).

If yes, install Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2_12

Thanks and Regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Probably you don't have a user autenticated proxy, but I do. According to the Download Manager requirements:

>

> Download Manager Requirements

> Are you required to use User Authenticated Proxy? (Please ask your system administrator whether this is required or not).

> If yes, install Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2_12

Wow... you're right, we don't use authentication.

Given the following facts:

Download Manager, Version 2.1.130 - Built 2003

Java 1.4.2 is deprecated, ancient and obsolete

I would open an OSS call (XX-SER-SAPSMP-SDM) and ask for a version that works with current Java versions. In my understanding it just can't be, that such a software hasn't been updated since 8 years and doesn't work with current software. And I would insist of a solution and not accept excuses.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, thanks again for your answer.

I already sent an OSS message to ask about the issue, since I I'm a bit tired of dealing with java troubles.

But I wanted to ask the people here in the forum, because it's quite surprising that nobody has complied about the compatibility problem.

Regards

Francisco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again

This note has been released today!

Note 1495160 - SAP JVM as replacement for Partner JDKs 1.4.2

Serendipity?

It seems that this JVM supports all the functionalities included in SAP Products. I'll test it and post the results here.

Thanks and Regards

Francisco

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That note is/was existing before, we already run a few machines with that JVM

Markus