cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Setup for ECC6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have installed ECC6.0 in Windows 2008 MSCS clusters with two nodes Node 1 and Node 2. Now we want to setup DR (Disaster Recovery). So, please anyone let me know what are the procedure (steps) for SAP DR setup.

Our ECC6.0 is in place with Node 1 and Node 2 (cluster)

DR server is not in cluster. It is having seperate SAN boxes in a dstance location.

Thanks,

Sudip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudip,

At this case, from DR point of view, it doesn't matter your ECC system is running on a HA environment or not. What is your database? Are you running on Oracle11g?

If you are running on Oracle, you can find the configuration steps, in the document, below;

http://www.oracle.com/us/solutions/sap/wp-ora4sap-dataguard11g-303811.pdf

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for your reply....

My database is Oracle 10.2.0.4. Actually I wanted to know the basic steps first for the DR setup-

1. Whether I have to install ECC6.0 in the DR server

2. How the data in the Main PRD server will replicate to the DR server

3. What will be the frequency of replication

4. Which technology will be used for data replication

Regards,

Sudip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudip,

1. Whether I have to install ECC6.0 in the DR server

>> Yes you have to install ECC6.0 on DR server, but it will not be started while the applying offline logs. In short, you will install Oracle 10g, then ECC 6.0. After that you should restore online backup to the DR server. It is important that Oracle patch levels must be same as primary (productive) server. After you complete the DG configuration, offline redologs will be shipped to the DR server and will be applied, automatically.

2. How the data in the Main PRD server will replicate to the DR server

>> As I noted above, offline redolog files will be shipped automatically and applied to the DR system.

3. What will be the frequency of replication

>> As soon as an offline redolog file created, it is shipping to the DR automatically. You can configure log apply period in the Oracle profile parameters

4. Which technology will be used for data replication

>> Files are shipping by using RFS and applied by MRP process. They are belong to the Oracle. It is important that Oracle uses listener port in order to ship the offline redolog files.

Additionally, before your begin the configuration, you should consider your DR strategy. There are two DR strategy on Oracle switchover and failover.

Please read the documents very carefully, below;

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/concepts.htm

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239.pdf

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

What I understand I will install ECC6.0 in DR server and then I will restore and recover the primary site ECC6.0 in DR site. After doing this DR and Primary site patch level will be in sync.

For DR setup the main work is on DG. And DG is a complex and long procedure. Lot of activities needs to be done for that. Whether DG will effect primary server also. I mean for DG I need to configure the primary site also? or most of the activites are in DR site. Actually I wondering to do anything with primary site production server.

Our Go-live will be on Jan 2012. So I have to do this DR activity before that.

Regards,

Sudip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudip,

>> What I understand I will install ECC6.0 in DR server and then I will restore and recover the primary site ECC6.0 in DR site.

Yes, it is correct

>> After doing this DR and Primary site patch level will be in sync.

If you are talking about SAP patches (not SAP kernel, course), yes. But, I noted that Oracle patch level need to be same level at both side which needs to be performed before you open the database at the standby mode, at DR side. As a conlusion, Oracle patch levels will not be sync automatically, you should do this operation, manually.

>> For DR setup the main work is on DG.

Yes, it is

>> DG I need to configure the primary site also? or most of the activites are in DR site.

Yes, you need to make some configurations such as in tnsnames.ora, database profile parameters at primary site also. But, yes most of the activities needs to be done in DR site.

>> Our Go-live will be on Jan 2012. So I have to do this DR activity before that.

You have enough time to complete this job

But as I mentioned in the previous message that you should consider your strategy, first.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please help for SAP ECC6.0 SQL 2008 in Windows 2008

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please check this url