Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of having Different/Multiple layers Information Design Tool 4.0

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am doing a POC on Information Design Tool at my Client location and i have built a dummy universe using IDT 4.0. I understand the concept of how we are doing connections and creating a foundation layer and a business layer , and we can have multiple connections and a foundation layer can use multiple connections to connect to multiple data sources so on and so forth. But i want to understand the in depth architecture of Why they have three layer?

In Previous releases we had one screen and we did data modeling ( that we do in foundation layer now) and object definition (that we do in Business layer now),only difference was that we couldnt connect to multiple source to desgin a model (that we do in data foundation layer now). But Here they have split it into layers and i am sure there is significance to it but i want to understand what is the significance from the architecture point of view.

Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MariannevL
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

As an add on to what has been said above. Do you know the concept of linked universes?

The reason for this was also reuse of some (part of) the table structure, the knowledge about how tables relate.

Now you can use the same datafoundation and just build a business layer per user group based on there interest in, use of that same data foundation. So marketing may be looking at different fact tables from sales, but both use the same product tables. Also it is possible to make the business layer better tailored to the user group (there may be product information that marketing is interested in and uses, but sales couldn't care less. Now they each see only the parts they really need and want.

Hope this helps,

Marianne

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Sheikh,

In Information Design Tool, we have three layers as: Connections, Data Foundation and Business Layer.

The concept of having three layers is most importantly to allow reusability...

Presently it is possible to reuse a connection.

Add/remove tables at the Data Foundation level, even this could be reused.. You can create more than one Business Layer based on one Data Foundation..

Business Layer is dependent on the tables in Data Foundation. The list of Values, Parameters could be created at this level. Hence the inclusion of more tables do not disturb the LOV and parameters..