cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared memory used in Web Dynpro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am using shared memory objects in Web Dynpro ABAP. Everything was working fine until we went live to production. After some research I realized that users are not always able to reach data in shared memory because of different approach of web environment and classic GUI when using more servers. Solution would be to go to database instead of shared memory. However I am still interested if there might be some other way to solve it. Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hoping to get some information on the topic raised by Marek. How can scenarios where Reading from SHMA fails be handled?

I am facing such an issue right now. Reading from SHMA works well on SAP GUI. But when the same is called from WDA, the reading is not proper.

Bumping this old thread hoping for a reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just found the answer to my query. Posting it here in case some one else needs it. In transaction SHMA, cross check the value set for "Binding" in Fixed Properties. If the SHMA is meant to be used for WDA, (depending on use cases) it should be set to "Application Server". It is explained here as well:

Area Binding - ABAP - Shared Objects - SAP Library

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It still doesn't solve the problem if there are multiple application servers, see the Recommendation chapter of for reference. If you have to use shared memory, at least use IMPORT/EXPORT FROM/TO DATABASE. There are better ways of sharing data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very true Samuli. But in my case I wanted the SHMA to be bound to an application server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

>

> I am using shared memory objects in Web Dynpro ABAP. Everything was working fine until we went live to production. After some research I realized that users are not always able to reach data in shared memory because of different approach of web environment and classic GUI when using more servers. Solution would be to go to database instead of shared memory. However I am still interested if there might be some other way to solve it. Any ideas?

To my understanding writing to the database is the safe option. There are no other ways to solve your problem with Shared memory.