cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macros & DP data views

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a question about macros that have been created at the planning book level so these macros will run in ALL data views that are linked to the planning book.

Is this the correct that any macro in the planning book should work in all data views?

I created the data view after the macros had been created so inactivated and reactivated the macros but still they don't work.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhay_kapase
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I think the macro which you created must have been created for specific data view.

whenever you create any macro book, you can create it at planning book level or data view level.

Now what you can do is to import the macro from original macro book in to your newly created data view macro book.

There is import functionality in macro book workbench itself.

Please let us know if this explanation helped you.

Regards,

Abhay Kapase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhay Kapase,

I do understand that macros can be created in a data view or at the planning book. The macro is definitely in the planning book and I know about the import function that I could use to copy it into the data view.

I would like to avoid importing the macro as this will mean future maintenance (if any) has to be done on multiple macros.

My original question still needs to be answered.

Should a macro created in the planning book work on all of the data views in that planning book (provided KF's are in the data views)?

If it should other than activating the macro, is there other activity that needs to be done so the macro does work?

Thanks

Paul

abhay_kapase
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I was going through various documents to get answer to your question.

Here is what I found:

You can define a macro either for an entire planning book or for a specific data view. SAP recommends for performance purposes you create macros at the view level. You can also copy macros from the existing books into a new book

So what can be concluded from this SAP explanation is macro created for entire planning book should work for all the data views within the planning book.

But as in your case you have generated data view after creating a macro. So, it might not work because when macros are generated in the background system creates a program and when you created that macro at that point of time the new data view was not available so system did not generated it for the new data view.

So, what you can try in your situation is to not only deactivate and activate the macro but also regenerate the macro.

Let me know if this works for you. Meanwhile I will keep on looking if I can find something else.

Regards,

Abhay Kapase

Edited by: AbhayKapase on Aug 8, 2011 9:39 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhay,

Still no luck unfortunately.

I recreated the macro, deactivated and activated again. Also deleted the DV and recreated a new view and then recreated the macro, deactivated and activated.

What I did notice is when I created the data view the cion for the KF's didn't change to indicate that they are used in the macro. I guess this makes sense but still doesn't explain why the macro's won't work in all the data views.

Very frustrating.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've found the reason why macros created in the planning book don't work in all of the data views. This is with SCM 7.0 and SP 9.

One of the data views had a different historical TB Profile than the other data views. It was the DV with the smaller time periods that the macros didn't work.

I also tested by changing all of the macros to future only but the macros still didn't work on all of the data views. So it does appear that the TB profile needs to be consistent for the macros to work in all DV's.

Hopefully this will help another reader.

Paul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't think that macros could be saved at planning book level.

Macro books must be relevant to a planning book and data view ...

I tried to make a test in my internal system, but I could not create a planning book without data view.

Neither could I create a macro book on a planning book without data view.

So I did not understand your scenario clearly ... How did you create the planning book level macro?

Best Regards,

Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

I don't think that macros could be saved at planning book level.

Macro books must be relevant to a planning book and data view ...

Sorry, but you are mistaken.

but I could not create a planning book without data view.

This is because it can't be done.

How did you create the planning book level macro?

//SDP8B > Select book and a view. > Change

Click on 'Macrobuilder' icon > Macrobuilder planning book.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello DB49,

Thanks for your information, that's something new to me.

I created a macro on planning book level now.

Could you please tell me how to use/run it?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

This is Paul's thread. I suggest you raise your own message for such questions.

Best Regards,

DB49