cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Label Printing Via RF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to let you know, I do NOT have any previous experience with IP Address mapping, setting up Zebra printers or mobile technology...but here is my question anyway:

I have a client that will be utilizing Symbol M3090 handheld scanners and Zebra QL320 Plus Mobile Label Printers in their warehouse. I have been asked to create a functional spec document for an enhancement that will direct print jobs associated with a specific user ID to a specific mobile printer.

The operator would begin their tasks with the handheld scanner and somehow make the association of their user ID with a specific mobile printer so output would go to a specific IP address. They would make this association each time they would begin a session, continuing to direct output to that specific printer until they logged off the system.

Would this be done by creating a custom table in SAP with the operator's User ID, IP Address and/or printer name? Would there need to be a custom transaction in order to fill this custom table or to make the association between the user and printer name/IP Address?

I am guessing that the IP Address would be assigned to a specific printer. Then, the operator would enter an IP address from a mobile printer into a log-on screen on the Symbol handheld printer that would then associate that user ID with the specific mobile printer they have selected in the warehouse. Does this make sense? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for your help!

Mason Spencer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Spencer

We have extensive knowledge of mobile printing. The solution that you propose is correct, the printer will be set up in SPAD with a fixed iP address usually by the BASIS team. associated with this printer will be a short printer name eg

LAB1. Make sure that is is clearly labeled on the physical printer (use a bar code if you can as well) and the printers are set up in all SAP systems Dev,Prod etc I say this from experience as waiting for the set up of X mobile printers can take some time.

From a functional perspective it is possible to maintain a default printer in the user master (SU01) or as a Parameter ID (PID) (SU01) and the printer short name or define a Z table as part of your specification to hold Warehouse number, user, printer ..etc

If the user needs to change printer during his working day make sure that you define a transaction for this function. As this will be a mobile transaction specify the different screen sizes that will be needed. This tranaction can then be added to the user nmenu.

The next issue will be triggering the printout and label design, in this instance be sure that all the information that the user requires is on the label and that there are no time dependencies built in that would adversely delay the physical step in the process waiting for the label to print. Make sure that the user can reprint as well as labels do get lost easily in a warehouse!

Thanks James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, James! I really appreciate your response. I will write up my FSD along the lines of this proposal. I'm guessing that the enhancement would be a temporary table that stores the user ID/printer name/IP address configuration temporarily while the user is in the process of using the printer they have selected and the table will need to clear itself out after they have logged off of the printer?

Answers (0)