cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB/Livecache running on VSphere

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have productive instances of MaxDB/Livecache running in a virtual mode using Vsphere 4.x? We have a Livecache system that was originally sized for slightly over 128GB of memory but now have a memory requirement that is < 64GB. We are trying to determine if running on VSphere is an alternative to eliminate the need for dedicated physical servers.

Joe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We run a few smaller SAP production systems on MaxDB on vSpher 4.1. Two bigger test and QA systems (1 TB + 2,9 TB) are also running under vSphere. The production however runs on bare metal because our tests showed that I/O is slower.

Since a liveCache doesn't do "traditional database I/O" I'd say that the performance would be equal than non-virtualized.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks for the response. To clarifiy our scenario our LC system is currently 80GB and we don't expect any significant growth in the near future. Would that be similar in size to the small production systems you mention? Are you saying that as long as the dataset is small it is worth testing to compare the performance between physical and virtual servers?

Joe

Answers (0)