Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto generate displayname

former_member283791
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey IDers,

A customer pointed out to me that the displayname for any given person created within the company is always %MX_FIRSTNAME% <space> %MX_LASTNAME%. So I implemented that idea thinking it would be a minute work.

First sign of a problem however popped up when I tried to remove DISPLAYNAME from the create identity task, he mentioned that the DISPLAYNAME was mandatory but I could continue. Now I added a step at the bottom of my create task/job to IDstore using the mskeyvalue and simply adding the DISPLAYNAME using first and lastname fields but still when I create a new user it just uses the MSKEYVALUE in the displayname field.

So now I'm curious, am I not able to generate the displayname, is this some kind of build in safety?

Secondly, in future releases we'll also have to make the MSKEYVALUE auto generated using first and last name because of multiple AD domains etc. Will I be able to do that or is this also limited?

Thx in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not 100% sure if I get what you're saying, but here's one thought:

You could create a custom entry type that does not have these required fields. It will need an MSKEYVALUE still but that can be autogenerated, or autoincremented numbers, or whatever. It doesn't matter.

So, say you want to add Joe Smith. You create a new entry type:

MSKEYVALUE=TEMP12345

FIRSTNAME=Joe

LASTNAME=Smith

Then you generate the other things you want:

DISPLAYNAME=Joe Smith

REALMSKEYVALUE=ADMIN:CORP:HQ:SMITHJOE

Then you have a pass that uses that entry to make the real entry.

That's just one thought, it still might be possible to do what you need to do more directly, but this will work (and we do something similar for some more complicated processes already, this is just a simple example).

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

actually I've done exactly what you described. I have a custom pending value object called USER_REQUEST with all required attributes. This entry is created and then converted to proper MX_PERSON entry. During conversion you can do whatever you want. It has some additional nice things like you can have approval of new user without creating MX_PERSON. You create it when user is approved. There is a nice blog on SDN about using custom PVO.

Cheers

former_member283791
Participant
0 Kudos

hey guys, thanks for the answers.

I believe I'm gonna go with Adam's answer seeing as we'll need to do more custom work while creating users in the future so to make sure we don't run into any unpleasant surprises we'll just make a seperate pending value.

@M Pollicove: I do believe that your solution would work aswell only if in the future we'll have to get the MSKEYVALUE auto created by Firstname and Lastname we won't be able to use that trick anymore because I guess that the MSKEYVALUE can't be changed without concequenses?

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jonathan,

Check out these links below. I wrote this SAP Blog entry a couple of years ago and still use this technique:

/people/matthew.pollicove/blog/2009/03/19/renaming-the-nw-idm-mskeyvalue-attribute

A nice (if I do say so myself) discussion on MSKEY vs MSKEYVALUE

http://sgciam.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/mskeys-and-mskeyvalues-views-and-tables/

Another SAP generated MSKEYVALUE script.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Security/Javascript-function+custom_generateHRID

Hope this helps you!

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe it's just me, but I think you're all over engineering this.

Leave DISPLAYNAME as it is when you create the identity. Then in the next workflow task (or pass if you're doing this in a maintenance job) have a To Identity Store Pass that updates DISPLAYNAME anyway you like.

Or does 7.1/7.2 make it that much of a problem.?

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

actually, you are right.

Cheers

Removed part which was not correct.

Edited by: Martin Voros on Aug 6, 2011 10:41 AM