cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customization of SAP Netweaver Identity Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am totally new to SAP IDM and Webdynpro. I need to customize the SAP IDM pages using the Webdynpro as per our business requirement.

I need proper guidelines or any documents which will be useful for an beginner to start.

Kindly help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards

MG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

What version of SAP IDM are you using?

Cheers,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

We are currently using SAP IDM 7.2 version.

Also we need to customize those SCA files using the webdynpro.

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

MG,

The new REST API can be used to customize the IDM UI; you can find info on the same here:

Asset Deleted 28 May 2012

There's a useful blog post (& a video) about the same here:

[/people/andreas.dietrich2/blog/2011/07/01/sap-netweaver-identity-management-customized-user-interface-based-on-the-new-rest-apiSAPNetworkWeblogs%2528SAPNetworkWeblogs%2529]

The installation of IDM UI document should help you otherwise:

[http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001233082010E]

Let me know if that answers your questions.

Cheers!

Sandeep

Message was edited by: Jason Lax

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

Can you please share you number,I need to check with you on this issue.

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, I can't believe they just added a REST API for IdM... We have 7.1SP5, and we just did five months of development on a custom UI in ABAP Webdynpro, and had to write all of our own data models and get stuff from and put stuff to the IdM database manually. We really like the way it turned out, but compared to what we did it would have been ridiculously easy with this API! Horrible timing for us...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adam,

We need to customize using the Java Webdynpro for customization,is it possible to do it from IDM 7.2?

Can you please share some of the links for your implemenations.

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey MG,

I'm actually unavailable via phone at the moment; what exactly did you need to clarify?

Let me know and I'll try my best to help through the forums.

Cheers!

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Good morning !!

I have just gone through the links you have shared,but probably i am an beginner ,I am strugging a little bit to understand it..

Can you provide few more examples so that it will be useful for me to learn it.

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

Did you try going through the blogpost and the accompanying video? I believe that should help quite a bit.

Otherwise there's this other post announcing the 7.2 REST API:

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/24322] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

and from that same post there's this link to a few 7.2 REST API code samples, using the EXT JS framework:

[http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/SAPNWIDMgmt7.2RESTAPI+Examples]

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sandeep !!

But my management needs that customization to be done by Webdynpro java .

Is it possibe to go for that option?

They have two version of SAP IDM 7.1 and 7.2.

So shall you provide some details on Webdynpro java,since it has been finalised over design document.

-MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

I'm a little confused; you said you were using SAP IDM 7.2? is that right or are you using version 7.1?

Cheers!

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Sandeep for confusing you.

Currently envirnoment got changed and we are supposed to use only SAP IDM 7.1 it seems.

How can we customise the UI ?

Note: As we researched ,it seems to be Webdynpro as customization tool.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sandeep/Adam,

I am expecting an positive reply from your end?

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

You can do a certain amount of customization to the 7.1 UI like say setting the theme through the Visual Administrator:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/1e/535d420447e054e10000000a155106/frameset.htm]

From the 7.0 - 7.1 comparison slide deck, with 7.1:

the Page header and footer are no longer customizable

The Web Dynpro source code is not delivered to the customer and therefore an extension of hte Web Dynpro model is not possible.

For Security reasons, HTML formatting of the task header, description and attributes are no longer supported.

Client/server side scripting used for input validation is no longer supported; instead Regular Expressions can now be used for input validation.

Cheers!

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sandeep for your explanation.

So shall i create an webdynpro project and integrate it with SAP IDM 7.1 ?

Means UI shall be in Webdynpro and api's will be used from IDM.

Since we need to use only SAP IDM 7.1 and customization as per their requirements.

Thanks

MG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MG,

I doubt you could actually integrate it the way you propose to; the extensibility and API exists only in 7.2; with 7.1 I believe you're still stuck with the IDM UI. You could integrate IDM into the portal and then use Visual Administrator to modify the theme as per your requirements but I am not too sure if you could just create an independent webdynpro UI that just integrates and plugs into IDM; it seems like it might end up being a very tedious process.

If modifying the webdynpro theme actually allowed you to add in scripting or your own UI elements then I suppose you could add in a bit more customization that way.

Again, I might be wrong; good luck! Hope it works out!

Cheers!

Sandeep

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

I think you are spot on here. You can do limited customization through the extension framework and the WebDynPro's are indeed locked down.

MG, if you want customization, 7.2 is the only way to go at this point. Hopefully it will go General Availability in the fourth quarter of this year.

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarifying that Matt!

Wasn't too sure on the level of customization with 7.1; with the elimination of client side scripting and heavy Web Dynpro in 7.1 I feel they took a step backward on levels of customization from 7.0, but I guess its with good reason, towards a far more standardized, secure, functional and extensible 7.2.

Cheers!

Sandeep

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

As you pointed out, there were severe security issues with exposed HTML, and the PHP of 7.0 was even less secure from the SAP perspective.

I guess they feel with the API they can provide customization without exposing potential backdoors.

Can't wait to start workign with it!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, very true Matt; with the API they now have encapsulated functionality.

Can't wait to work with it either!

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have 7.1 and have done a complete UI rework in ABAP WebDynpro. There is nothing keeping you from doing it, you just have to essentially write your own API. We just made a database connector in our WebDynpro system to the IdM Database, and wrote our own models for everything. You could do the same in Java, with JDBC or something fancy like JPA. Once you connect to the database, really you can do anything. There are stored procs for setting attributes, and you can write good SQL queries for getting all of the display information you need, if you are familiar with the database structure (which we are, as it's already very highly customized). I'd link you to our implementation but unfortunately it is behind our firewall...

Anyway, if you can connect to the database, I don't see how anyone could say "it can't be done", just maybe "it will be a lot of work". It took three of us at least 3 months of work to get it in a semi-working state, and I've been fixing up the final stuff for the past few months by myself, while also handling general IdM support.

I'll see if I'm allowed to post screenshots...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Adam,Sandeep and Matt for providing valuable suggestions.

Right now,i am trying to implement using Webdynpro java and integrating with SPML in IDM.

Thanks

MG