cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HA for SAP Web Dispatcher

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

We have a sap web dispatcher installed for sap netweaver 7.3. This is on Windows 2008 R2.

I'd like to know if this is backward compatible ? That is, will it successfully redirect requests to ICM for SAP systems based on NW 7.0 EHP1 or earlier/ ERP 6?

Secondly, We will have BSP applications hosted on EP which inturn will call the App servers. If we add a new dispatcher can we have HA with parallel availability ? I am not able to fully understand the example at end of page

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/48/9a9a6b48c673e8e10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

Kindly help....

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may get some answers in note: 1564222

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

@James, Will Microsoft Cluster Service allow us to run both dispatchers in parallel ??

1. What I meant in last question is after placing a web dispatcher between client and EP system

i.e. Client browser --> web dispatcher --> EP

.. don't we need another web dispatcher between EP and ERP system in case any iview needs information from ABAP.

i.e. Client browser --> web dispatcher --> EP

PLUS

......EP --> web dispatcher --> ERP System (multiple app servers)

2. In case of parallel web dispatchers that do load distribution via DNS, will we be able to set same SAP<SID> for both instances (i.e. instances that are independent) ? or is that recommended ?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please look the below given link..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/48/9a9a6b48c673e8e10000000a42189b/content.htm

And the SAP note..

Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) configuration, SAP Note 834184

Hope this will help you...

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

For backward compatibility question any higher version generally supports the backward version.

The last part says if you run multiple Web dispatcher in parallel on different hosts and one goes down then other will still cater the request but at additional cost of hardware and also additional instance.

Where as its better to have a cluster environment and run the web disp. If one node of server goes down the service can fail over to other.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Answer to your first question is yes, you can use 7.30 disp to foward the request to 700 releases.

For second question,from the link its up to you which scenario you will choose, Not sure but may be you can use this

High Availability with Parallel Web Dispatchers. One webdisp to your portal and the other one to your backend systems, the communication between the portal and backend should go through the webdisp.

We use High Availability of * SAP Web Dispatcher with External HA Software*

also we have active passive scenario configured, So if one web disp fails the other comes up.

Regards,

Vamshi.