cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are SAPs future plans for SRM-MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are running a Catalogue on SRM-MDM today. The plan is to expand the solution.

Our possibilities are:

- Keep using the SRM-MDM environment.

- Migrate the SRM-MDM solution into our existing MDM environment.

We are uncertain of what future plans SAP has for the SRM-MDM environment.

Will there be further development on SRM-MDM in the future?

Is there any documentation from SAP on SRM-MDM vs using MDM as Catalogue?

Thanks!

KR,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas.

The releases of catalog is as follows. (Which one are you using it?)

SRM-MDM Catalog 2.0 -> SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0 -> SRM-MDM Catalog 7.01 (or Procurement Catalog) with EhP1 ->SRM-MDM Catalog 7.02

Each releases has its own features with respective to the procurement scenarios.

From my point of view using "MDM as a Catalogue" in procurement area's is still a challenge since the price calculation and other UI related stuff is missing. If you want to use catalog as a read-only application which shows records in a tabular manner with minimum set of functionalities then you can go for "MDM as catalogue".

Best Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

We are currently using SRM-MDM 3.0. If we will continue using SRM-MDM i persume that we will upgrade to latest version.

You mention lack of functionality in the UI content when using MDM as Catalogue.

Can you tell me more about this?

Do you have any documentation?

We are not using the UI only as a static preview of data.

Our customers are using the shopping cart functionality.

All links and documents you can provide will be much appreciated:)

KR,

Thomas

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas.

When you say "MDM as Catalogue", which means utilizing the features available in SAP-MDM(Like Portal iViews) and use it as functionality provided for catalog solutions instead of going for SRM-MDM Catalog - correct me if my understanding is wrong.

If this is the case, then you can simply fetch the records available in the repository and showcase it using portal iviews and

use it for procurement solutions(for SRM-Shopping cart etc) using check out functionality.

But SRM-MDM Catalog is designed specifically for certain functionalities like showing different prices like Contract, Purchase Info records, List price etc which is not possible in portal iviews, Service Catalog for showing hierarchies, showing various types of item types(BOM, SK1, SK2, Components etc). Similarly there are some more features which is available in SRM-MDM Catalog which lacks when we use "MDM as Catalogue"

But still SAP can come up with more features if they have plans to bring up a common catalog solution for various solutions.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Bala,

I think I might have expained poorly. Let's try again:)

The thing is that we are using both MDM and SRM-MDM today.

The MDM clients used in the SRM-MDM environment are Console, Import manager and Data manager.

The clients used for the MDM environment includes the Syndicator as well.

The distribution of clients for MDM and SRM-MDM do not happen simultaneously, and are therefore in different versions and patches.

MDM uses iViews as portal, SRM-MDM uses search UI.

My question is basically if SAP will continue distributing SRM-MDM as a package of MDM clients and UI, or if the future will be that we, the customers, will get the MDM clients (including the Syndicator), and linking the SRM-MDM search UI to the Catalogue-repositories and Portal iViews to the MDM-repositories.

Is this solution even possible? Are the MDM Clients identical for MDM and SRM-MDM, if we disregard the version difference?

KR,

Thomas

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas.

I got your question now 😛

Early versions of SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0 is deleivered separately in the service market place(Under SRM Category) for MDM GUI Clients(MDM Server, Imp Server, Console, DM, IM) with Catalog SCA, connectors etc. Adding to this there will be a separate delivery of SAP MDM which is also found under the Netweaver category in service market place. There is usually a mismatch in the version between under two categories(Netweaver and SRM).

But recently, this has been changed and only one universal version is delivered for SAP MDM(Not sure under which category this is present) which can be used for SRM Catalog and for other operations as well.

Can you cross check this in the SMP if this is the same?

Best Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

I have checked SMP and found both distributions.

It seems they are the same version now.

In my understanding, this means that:

- The two distributions are identical

- That we can scrap the SRM-MDM clients, upgrade the MDM server and clients to latest patch and move all repositories (MDM and Catalogue) to MDM

- This would mean one less system environment to tend to

Thank you for your information.

KR,

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thomas -

As per my knowledge all catalouge catent management and other catalouge will be replaced by MDM Cataloague only, So yes it is a possibilty that we can see some enhancement or upgradation in Current MDM Catalogue solution.It is always good that wait for SAP's response on it.

for MDM Cataloge related information you can see below link

[original link is broken]

Request you to go through note 1570153 for MDM Catalogue using MDM 7.1

hth

thx

Deep