cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need seperate import maps for create and Update?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am wondering do we need to have seperate maps for create and update for the same repository??

There are some situations where some fields/attributes are not comming in the txt file and wondering do I need to have seperate maps for each such sitiations?

Can any one let me know in which case do we need to create seperate maps for the same repository and for the same source format?

Thanks

Rajeev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

Seems to me you are creating record using record import and even record update is through record import in a text file format.

Maps in MDM are Remote system,type,and schema dependent.

If you have a port which receives data for both creation and updation then its ok to have same port with same map.

But inside WF you have to make provision so that it does not go through all the approval steps.

If you have different ports,then its a good idea to have a other map mapping relevant fields only.

Now coming to the problem you mentioned,missed fields are due to improper value mapping.Check value mapping for all the fields,check specially for the record in which the field value was skipped.eg if a record has been created but its Loading Group is not populated,then use the same record and through import manager check the value mapping of loading group.Save update.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your inputs.. Say for example I have one shema (MDM gave the XSD to the source system) and want to know in which scenarios do we go for different ports and different maps?

Second one : I am expeting few fields in one xml and another few fields in another xml... do it really require two different pots and maps even both are having the subset of MDM xsd??? I am thinking why cant go for one port and one map.. both for creation and update.... Ofcourse I will make sure to split in WF for new and update once...

Please input your comments.

Thanks

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Rajeev,

We use different ports if XML structure of incoming data is different,if they are coming from different Remote systems,and way of usage is different.In your scenario one map can work.

Suppose my creation scenario works on record import and now I want Description change scenario also to use the same port.

Now Challenge here is one map can be attached to one port,so If I can take care of both the scenarios in mapping then I can go ahead use the same Port.Record with Desription changed will flow in,it would only update the mapped or Null fields.

Needless to say one has to put a validation/Logic to branch the WF to separate from Creation,like IF MaterialNo is NULL goto Create branch else branch to update branch.

However with this scenario tracking of record is difficult and since you are using only 1 map you will face constraints.

For your reference :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c01c5cb1-7226-2c10-9583-9455b03cb...

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Rajeev,

Please let me know in case of any other queries else kindly close the thread.

Thanks,

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

I am wondering do we need to have seperate maps for create and update for the same repository??

This totally depends on your business process and the Matching fields that you are using for creation/updation of data.

If the logic behind create and update remains the same ( same matching field), you can use the same map, however, if the logic is different ( different matching fields) then you have to create two different maps.

Also, as you said that you are using the same XSD, if I correctly understand the situation, for creation one XML file is coming with some fields and for update another file is coming however the underlying XSD is the same.

If this understanding is correct and if you are using the same Matching field for both create and update scenario then you can go ahead with single map and single Inbound Port.

If not you need to create two maps and two inbound ports

Note: One port can only be associated to one map and cannot be reused.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Parul Malhotra