cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Location Requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guru's,

There is a requirement for an additional check point after the shipping is done! Below is the business description.

Current Scenario - Plant A is responsible for shipping all the items from Location X! Actually, the goods go from plant A Location X to some other storage location Y about 150KM away and would be borded into the train for delivery from Y! But this portion is not captured in SAP currently!

Future - We will require to capture this additional location Y for consideration of tracking in SAP!

The main Objective is that even if the shipping is done from plant A location X, is it possible to have an intermediate shipping location as Y? (Can we use some validations to make sure there is a entry in some handheld device at Y) or

is it mandatory to have the goods transferred to Y and then ship from there? the major concern here is that the location Y will not have any system access! The maximum it can call for is some handheld device to scan and make sure the shipping happens!

Any suggesion is welcome!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188027
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do shipping through one shipping point only either X or Y, So it is better to go Shipping through Point Y. Once the Material is ready at Point X then simply transfers the Stock from shipping location X to Y ( transfer Posting) here you can develop the report for tracking every material movement at this point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the thoughts Anand! But my major problem is that no one at this location Y carry any computer! can a handheld device trigger the shipping process from picking through shipping? can we make any custom transaction to build this is SD? I am basically a FI consultant and not sure if this can be built in SD!

former_member188027
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member209761
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kalyan,

Does shipping always happen from Y alone?

Or only during some cases, shipping happens from Y?

If so, under which case does shipping happen from Y?

By the term 'shipping happening from Y' , you mean the delivery process happens in Y location?

Please revert back.

Thanks & Regards,

Hegal K Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charles,

Shipping from location Y happens only for some customers (Because this location is Rail accessible)! and the other shipping happens from X itself.

Currently all the shipping process is handled from X only, but the additional business is not captured after location X in SAP. Now the client want to track the goods movement till the location Y also, but do not want to waste the resources at Y by having all the setup. Basically they want someone with a handheld device scanning or just entering the Sales Order and say its getting shipped!

Can there be a checkpoint at Y after shipping from Location X? My assumption is no!

-Thanks in advance!

former_member209761
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kalyan,

I havent understood your requirement completely, but if it is to determine 2 shipping points automatically in the sales order,

then you have to maintain X as your default shipping point and Y as your manual shipping point in the configuration of shipping point determination.

Now , based on the region/district etc from the customer master, we can make the system determine shipping location Y automatically in the sales order using the exit USEREXIT_SOURCE_DETERMINATION

Based on the shipping point field in the LIPS , we can get a list of delivery which happened from Y.

Thanks & Regards,

Hegal K Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charles,

From the answer you have given, i have another question, once i get this clarified, i think i am good to go!

You said we can have two different shipping points and divert the goods to shipping point Y, for the ones that need to be sent from location Y. My question is - Can we have the Goods Issue from the Location X and still ship from the Location Y? if this happens, what would be the impact on FI or any other logistics?

-thank you.

former_member209761
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kalyan,

It is not possible to have shipping point as Y and issue the goods from X.

Because each delivery is unique to one plant/shipping point/storage location.

here delivery means goods issue.

Now if you are entering shipping point as X for the delivery, but actual physical shipping happens from Y , in SAP your shipping point will remain X.

But you have the option of entering this Y in the delivery screen HEADER>SHIPMENT TAB> special processing indicator is there under shipment section.

You can maintain values for this field in SPRO>F5>LOGISTIC EXECUTION>TRANSPORTATION>BASIC TRANSPORTATION FUNCTIONS-->DEFINE SPECIAL PROCESSING INDICATOR

maintain Y here and give description as FROM Y SHIPPING POINT.

now in the system you can enter the X as shipping point in the sales order/delivery.

In cases where the actual shipping happens from Y, you can enter Y in the special processing indicator.

Now since the shipping point in the shipping point field is X, good issue will happen from X.

if you need to track which all deliveries where actually shipped from Y, you can get it in LIKP-SDABW

Check and revert.

Thanks & Regards,

Hegal K Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charles,

Now i got the actual scenario! The requirement from the business is that we have to capture the data that we are shipping from point Y. for this to happen, i think we will create a storage location for the materials that need to be shipped from Z at the location X itself instead of at location Y!!! After the goods issue happens at Location X from the Z storage location, we would have a shipping point Y!

Does this sound correct and can this be done?