cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Package installation is taking long time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am upgrading EHP3 using SAINT in Development System and its taking pretty long time.When the same activity is performed in Sandbox and Functional sandbox it took 15 hours where as in Developmet system it took 24 hours.

TP system log has no error,no ABAP dumps,no st04 buffer swaps,CPU utliziation is normal and disk utilization is normal.

DBA team checked the database and informed all tables SPAM is accessing are okay and no large sequential reads.

Our trans directory is mounted in NFS.

Pelase help me the ways to trouble shoot this issue.

satish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's depend on various factors:

Number of CPU's on your server.

Physical Memory available.

Number of Work process configured

You can check these things and use latest Kernel binaries before you start the Patch Upgrade. The log you have posted here is fine and does not seems wrong. You shoukd check the memory and CPU utlization at the time of Patch Upgade. Please provide some detail infomration about your OS, Database and SAP Version.

If u want more details please find below thread

Regards,

K.Ramamoorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Our both Sandbox and Development system have same CPU,Memory and Disk.

Our Unix team is also involved when applying patches they could not find anything unusual in the system.

DBA team also could not find anything.

Only difference between sandbox and Develoment system is trans directory in Development is nfs mount but in sandbox its local but still the time it took in development is twice the time in sandbox.

Could you suggest the other ways i can start troubleshotting this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please provide in which phase its is in this time , and also send the ALOG and tp import log.

Regards

Pranay

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When Support Packages are being imported, many objects have to be imported into the database. Even with efficient systems, this results in a long import time (which may be unacceptable for your situation). Furthermore, if it is still necessary for the loading of all ABAP objects to also be generated before the production operation, the downtime is prolonged even further again.

Please see the following link for the details..

Note 589124 - Performance improvements when Support Package imported

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

There are lot of reasons for this problem, but I suggest first Please run table update statistics before applying support packages through DB13 or BRTOOLS. Now if the support packages are in running status then you can also run the update stats through brtools side by side.

Also please let me know in which phase it is taking long time.

Regards

Pranay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on many factors:

1. DB size

2. no of software components installed

3. languages installed

If CPU / memory is not reaching peak, check for Disk I/O and network as you are using NFS.

Regards,

Rajneesh