cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM 7.1 future and training for a PI-ABAP consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I would like to know the future of MDM 7.1 for an integration consultant like me who knows SAP PI and ABAP programming in ECC and CRM modules.

I am thinking of going for a training in MDM 7.1 and still deciding to go or not. Can anyone let me know what would be the benefit of learning MDM 7.1 considering the future of it and my PI integration background.

Is it true SAP MDM 7.1 will be eventually replaced by Business Objects and SAP ECC and CRM's own MDM plug ins?

It's a little scary to hear these kinds of developments SAP is planning to do which might eradicate MDM as a separate product in Netweaver area

Please let me know what you experts in forecasting think about the above

Thx

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike -

This is a wonderful idea that by being a PI- ABAP person you are planning to learn SAP MDM. SAP MDM 7.1 is latest version of MDM as per today. In future MDM and BOBJ DS will be into a single application(These are just my view, let's wait till SAP confirms)

As a Integration consultant PI-MDM is very good as it acts as a pipe for both the data parties.For the learning stand point you can see below link , This will help you to understand the product in a broad way.

https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/installmdm71/ (SMP login required)

and infact for latest PI-MDM solution integration portfolio you can see below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/956cd09521062de10000000a42189d/frameset.htm

hth

thx

Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Deep for the helpful answer.

I wanted to know more details and plans if any one is aware of regarding MDM future.

MDM is a master data management tool and if there is an inbuilt tools in ECC, CRM etc which can be used by a functional or technical ECC person, then there is a chance MDM would go away right or atleast the future of MDM usage will get limited.

Is this is the right statement or SAP has more plans towards it.

Thx

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

And also can anybody let me know is it worth learning Business Objects Data Services for future MDM?

And what are the links to give me a better insight on BO data services? And if anyone can give me a detailed explanation of usual business cases around BO data services related to MDM, I would really be very thankful

-mike

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike -

First of all understand it in this way...

SAP MDM is a part of SAP Netweaver stack, Which provides the basic foundation for service oriented architecture.More over it is an integration platform.

So Here MDM comes under information integration part. The whole idea is to pull information from various, make it usable and firm then transffer it to relevant party. It can also behave a central engin for your information management.

I hope above lines has given you a good idea.

As far as MDM in ECC and CRM is concern I could only say this SAP NW MDM platform contains much more features, openess, integration capabilities (SAP & Non SAP) and also more flexiblity in terms of expansion. SAP's Data management tool is got more featurs and functionalities as of now than any other.

Regarding MDM future it is going to be very much robust and secure. As far as SAP Business Object Data Services is concern, This is always a good idea to have knowledge of components which are in the shell of your skills, it may be direct or indirect.

I would suggest you to understand SAP's EIM startegy in a broadway by going through below link

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-informationmanagement

also see the link below for a blog stating the same.

/people/deepak.gupta7/blog/2011/07/28/my-discussion-on-sap-eim-with-my-friends

Hope this help

thx

Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx Deep. Thats helpful.

So, ideally which part of forums handles SAP Business Objects Data Services area?

And also will the BW/BI team responsible for it currently in a SAP landscape?

thx

mike

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike -

You can jump to Data Quality and Data Integration forum in EIM stack.

thx

Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx.

Great work

Answers (0)