cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server 2008 installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey guys,

I am trying to install data services 4.0 on a windows server with MS SQL database as the repository database. So, my plan was to install MS SQL 2008 first, then IPS, then data services. But i am facing a problem in installation of MS SQL itself. I installed MS SQL with following features - database engine, client tools and management tools. The installation process was smooth and the sql server services (server and agent) both startup just fine. I installed a custom instance for the same.

But problem is when I open the management studio and try to connect to the database engine, it does not connect, I choose database engine as the server type, local hostname as the server name and windows authentication as the authentican type but it fails with the following error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

-

Cannot connect to <myservername>.

-

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=MicrosoftSQLServer&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

-

BUTTONS:

OK

-

Any clues as to what is causing this ??? Or is it normal at this stage of installation ?? anything to do with a odbc connection ? I am confused. I have already tried to reinstall the server, no good, nothing in the event logs either.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

resolved with following:

In the TCP/IP Properties dialog box, on the IP Addresses tab, several IP addresses appear in the format IP1, IP2, up to IPAll. One of these is for the IP address of the loopback adapter, 127.0.0.1. Additional IP addresses appear for each IP Address on the computer. Right-click each address, and then click Properties to identify the IP address that you want to configure.

If the TCP Dynamic Ports dialog box contains 0, indicating the Database Engine is listening on dynamic ports, delete the 0.u201D

Once I deleted those zeros and put in 1433 for TCP ports on each IP address, voila!