cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHS: Update classification data in material class

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a possibility to assign characteristics of an EHS class (100) to a material class or a batch class and update the values in the material/batch class via EHS.

For example: I have a substance characteristic in my EHS specification work bench (let's say color = red) and I would like that characteristic to be attached to a material or batch class of a material that is itself attached to my specification.

When I change the characteristic in EHS (color = blue) the value should also be changed in the material/batch class of the attached material.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I know that there is an interface between batch classes and QM but I can't find anything in regard to EHS.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello mannava.ramu

let discuss "theory"..

SAP deliver two standard class types... 001 (material class) and 100 (EHS class)

Now using the SAP standard approach you can assign characteristics to the classes.

The maintenance process for updating data in MM is 100% to that of EHS. This is true as well for material class / Characteristics.

The EHS process is total different here.

E.g. let us assume you have the "density". This is handled using a SAP EHS class with some characteristics.

Now the maintenance process is here 100% different to MM process. The "value" managed in EHS is managed in reference to EHS tables and not MM tables

Therefore. Its a bad ide and you should never ever use a SAP standard characteristic (or customer one) which is EHS related in a MM class

Without any details of your business demand: no further help is possible.

C.B.

PS: coming back to your topic as:

Hi Christoph,

"During "save" in EHS "replicate" the value to the MM Class.": Means, what ever the values that given at the Spec also needs to be given in the Material class as well ? is that what you trying to explain in the above?

I am also having the same requirement. Please suggest.

You have here a general "logic" problem

E.g. you can maintain a color "green" with STANDARD / DE on a spec and on the same spec you can maintain "red" as the color with "STANDARD/US".

What "color" should "flow" (mapped) now to the material class/Characteristic???

MM does not know a "usage". So you can only do this:

you can define a characteristic (customer one !) like: "Color US" and a different "Color DE"

And then: if in EHS something is save: you can map this then to the correct characteristic on MM side

But from my point of view: Stupid.. i would never ever try this approach

PPS: many consultants "out side of EHS" do have problems with the EHS data model

I believe the may be correct story could run like:

The material is used in some "sub process" (e.g. QM). And know the QM process need some data from EHS (e.g. because the data should be printed on some document)

So the simple story would be: using the material number identifty the spec to which the material is assigned and "read" the data of interest

Now here (accoding to my experience) the next problem comes up (refer to my density exmaple)

You must "exactly define" what data you would like to retrieve. As you do not now if the color is maintained as "STANDARD/REG_WORLD" or like in my example: you must ! specify the "usage" to read the "right" data

And even in this case: for some properties you migt not succeed (e.g. density is a good example)

Here you can have > 1 data record with "STANDARD/REG_WORLD" and the data records can be differentiated only by the maintained "temperature" (you have a density of 20 ° C nad on with 50 ° C etc.)

Because of this EHS complexity: most of the other consultants are getting lost (and this is one of the many reasons why we do have a "dangerous goods master data" and en "Hazardous master data" approach in EHS

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Robert

topic solved? if so please clsoe thread

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Robert

you should not do it like that. Best approach: use two classes. One in EHS and one on MM level.

During "save" in EHS "replicate" the value to the MM Class. Don't mix the characteristics.

C.B:

Ramu-Mannava
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

"During "save" in EHS "replicate" the value to the MM Class.": Means, what ever the values that given at the Spec also needs to be given in the Material class as well ? is that what you trying to explain in the above?

I am also having the same requirement. Please suggest.

Thank you,

Ramu