Archives from PRD to DR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Our SAP System:

ECC 6.0

Windows 2003

Oracle DB 10.2.0.4

We started our DR 1 month before and started patching it. as DR is UP and all Patches are successfully applied. We want to shift our users from PRD to DR and want to patch the PRD.

How can I apply archives from PRD to DR as our DR has one month old Productiion data. After then we will be able to shift users to DR. And when patching is done on PRD, we will shift them back to PRD and continue the DR as it is.

Please help how can i complete the task above.

Regards,

Diya.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all you need to understand few things about DR:

1) Since your DR is up and database is open. So, you cannot apply archive from production.

2) For this first you need to restore production backup on DR and then perform recovery. After this you need to configure all user SAP logon pad with new server IP. Then user will login to DR server.

3) If you want to bring users back to main PRD then you need to restore DR backup on PRD and need to bring system up. Then you need to restore production backup on DR again and put it in recovery mode and apply archive log from PRD to DR to keep DR in sync with PRD.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

As an addition to the Sunny's reply, keep in mind that the database patch levels should be same when standby and primary server are up and running. Otherwise you may face with a problem during the shipment and its processes.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny and Orkun,

Thankyou for your replies.

Above replies cleared me little bit but my question is:

I have a ready DR with all successful patching. I want to move PRD Archives to DR.And after patching PRD, I will be needing to shift DR archives to PRD. How can i do that?

I want to shift archives of last month (24 days) from PRD to DR.

What i did:

I created DR, backedup, deleted DR Data files, copied PRD Data Files(1,2,3,4) & created controlfile and applied archives on DR from PRD. Now DR is running and we are applying archives on DR.

Question:

Now, will the Support Packages remain on DR? How can i check Support Packages from OS without logging into SAP GUI(DR)?

Please reply,

Diya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diya,

As Sunny and Orkun mentioned, the archivelogs cannot be applied in DR/standby once the DB is opened. In your case you have already opened the DB in DR and hence you will not be able to apply the archivelogs now.

FYI: No need to apply the patches (SAP support packages) seperately in DR. Instead you can apply the patches in PRD and DR will be updated with patches/changes while you recover the archive logs.

You can follow the below mentioned steps to create a standby DR.

1. Backup the PRD DB (offline backup)

2. Stop the application and DB in the DR site

3. Restore the backup in DR using BRRESTORE

4. Create a standby controlfile in PRD and copy the same to the controlfile locations in DR

5. Start the DB at the DR site in the standby mode

6. Copy the archive logs (you can either do this manually or automate the same usnig oracle dataguard)

7. Apply/recover the archive logs in the DR (ongoing process).

(or)

1. Copy the datafiles from PRD

2. Create a standby controlfile in PRD and copy the same to the controlfile locations in DR

3. Start the DB at the DR site in the standby mode

4. Copy the archive logs (you can either do this manually or automate the same usnig oracle dataguard)

5. Apply/recover the archive logs in the DR (ongoing process).

Hope this helps/clarifies.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diya,

After the role transition, you need to restore the database at the standby site, if you are running on failover scenario. On the other hand, it is easy to perform this operation, if you are running on switchover scenario. Please check the link, below;

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/role_management.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik