cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between config tool and offlinecfgeditor?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having a strong confusion between these two. Please help.

Both require the DB to be up.

Both requires a restart after a change, that means none of them makes the change in DB directly.

What is the difference then?

What I think that configtool directly doesn't make a any change at DB level at all, it only changes the instance.properties file at OS level only, whereas offlinecfgeditor changes the values of the parameters at DB level.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

One more doubt:

What is the difference between instance.properties and instance.properties.vmprop?

I know second gets created every time with the restart of the DB. Does that mean it's a copy of DB stored parameters?

Is there a way in JAVA stack by which we can bring the parameters at OS level and DB level in sync, like we do in ABAP in RZ10 by importing the profiles?

Please reply.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

cathal_ohare
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically the configtool and offlinecfgeditor are the same thing, the configtool is more user friendly, but the offlinecfgeditor can be used to access certain files and configurations that the configtool doesn't have access to.

Any changes done in the configtool are made at a database level, the instances.properties only gets changed after the bootstrap process which involves pulling data from the DB, This is the reason the j2ee needs a restart after ant changes are done to DB by configtools as these core DB files (note just the ones that change the instance.properties) are only accessed during the bootstrap phase, (a start up phase). This is to avoid any inconsistencies.

The instance.properties.vmprop just contains information about the jdk in use and other simialar information (used for logs), it will only get created if it does not exist already, hence why it is recommended to delete this file after upgrading the jdk.

The instance.properties contains important paramters used during the start up of the j2ee system.

The java stack only syncs OS and DB parameters during start up time (bootstrap).

Kind regards,

Cathal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cathal,

Thanks for your reply...it was helpful

I have 1 more doubt in this regard....

Sometimes, when we start configtool, we face warning saying some parameters releated to some server node are in incosnsistent state, their values differ at two places...one is instance.properties file ,other i am not sure about...

Can you tell me how to resolve these warnings, where is that other file?

cathal_ohare
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think I know the pop up, its when the element.info doesn't match the instance.propterties, there is usually a note mentioned in the pop up that explains how to solve this. This can happen after upgrades or migrations.

Kind regards,

Cathal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CATHAL,

Thanks a lot for your replies...