cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Activity from CBS Url...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I cerated a project DC in NWDS and checked it in...

Now I want to remove it...but itr is alreadt there in DTR...

I do not remember whether I activated it also or not...and released it or not..........

I accessed the URL

http://<host><port>/dtr.

However in DTR it shows under:

Ws -> Product -> SC -> Dev -> Inactive -> DC...

But it is not under

Ws -> Product -> SC -> Dev -> active -> DC...

and

Ws -> Product -> SC -> cons -> Inactive -> DC...

and

Ws -> Product -> SC -> cons -> active -> DC...

First Question is what dioes these folder means ?

Now I wanted to delete this DC from

Ws -> Product -> SC -> Dev -> Inactive -> DC...

Terefore I selected the "Delete resource" option corresponding to this DC.

DTR asked me for an activity...which I "checked in" in DTR only...(Please note NWDS is nowhere in picture)...

Now I accessed the URL

http://<host><port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tc.CBS.WebUI/WebUI

And searched my activity...and "Activated" it..

The result was successful....

Now where my activity is ?

If I would have done all this from NWDS...then lat step is to RELEASE it........

But here in CBS url I dont find any option to release my activity.....

Is this (Activation) is the last stage of Inactive DC...?

Does it not require to RELEASE it...?

In NWDS I dont find ant release waiting....as NWDS for not involved in picture for entire process...I guess...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also strongly recommend you to read the following material. It is long, I know, but covers almost everything, including your questions:

Working with the Development Infrastructure

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/03/f6bc3d42f46c33e10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

This includes also some conceptual descriptions, tutorials, it describes among others the component model, and nwdi elements one by one like cms, dtr and cbs, etc, I believe it is a good start.

---

Still, let me briefly, but really only in a nutshell answer your questions.

The changes are only in inactive after checkin. You won't find in active, only if you activate (for details about actvation please refer to the above guide, since if I go into details, I am afraid the answer will be too long).

This was so far the dev/inactive and the dev/active part.

Then you release the changes and import into consolidation. Here it is indeed tricky, since a force activation takes place after a succesful import, so your changes will be visible in both cons/inactive and cons/active.

You also asked what to consider if you delete a DC:

#864515 - How To Delete a Development Component

You wanted to know where to monitor activities. For this go to the CBS webui and check the "Activities" page.

Here you can look up all the activations took place in the past, you can check pending activations, etc, you can even use CBS webui to activate.

Release: You are completely right, there is no release feature in any webuis, as this feature was never implemented. While you can activate from NWDS and from the CBS webui, regarding release the only option is NWDS.

I hope this helps, let me know if you require more clarification.

Best Regars,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks,

I have somewhat understood this active/inactive concept...

Now my only question is on below line.....

> Release: You are completely right, there is no release feature in any webuis, as this feature was never implemented. While you can activate from NWDS and from the CBS webui, regarding release the only option is NWDS.

If I activate an activity from webUI....then It must automatically appear in NWDS so that I can release it....right..? even though I never activated/checked-out/checked-in it from NWDS....!

But in my case it is not appearing...in NWDS release view....

The reason what I feel is :

Once you release your activity...it goes to import queue of Consolidation run-time system of your track....

But in my case the original DC was never in consolidation !!...

So NWDI I guess is smart enough to recognize this fact...that there is no point to ask developer to release it.....because in NWDI consolidation system...I dont have to Over-write anything.....!!

Any comments....Am I correct...!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Well there was one more DC that I tried to delete as per SAP note 864515.

I.e. from NWDS this time...

But again It never asked for Release of this activity...

In SAP note there is a step...

In the DTR Repository Browser Perspective open the branch /dev/inactive/SCs/<vendor>/<SC>/_comp/TopLevelDCs. Find the ".dcref" file that belongs to the DC you are deleting and sync it.

I was not able to find this DCREF file for my DC....

This might be the reason after activating it, never went for release step...as activation might be last step for such scenarios....

So I feel my earlier observation (below) is correct :

Once you release your activity...it goes to import queue of Consolidation run-time system of your track....

But in my case the original DC was never in consolidation !!...

So NWDI I guess is smart enough to recognize this fact...that there is no point to ask developer to release it.....because in NWDI consolidation system...I dont have to Over-write anything.....!!

In NWDS as well it only asks for release of activity for which DCREF file was present..! and whhich (DC) was in active workspace....

For DC only in inactive workspace of Dev folder in DTR...never asked for release...from NWDS as well...

0 Kudos

Hi,

most likely the activity you cannot see in NWDS has been created and owned by another user.

In NWDS you can see only the activites you have created.

Best Regards,

Zsolt

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this blog /people/shreyas.pandya/blog/2011/07/19/source-code-journey-nwdi-under-the-hood

checkin, activation and release have to be done in NWDS.