cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to file design advice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

i have a file to file scenario. The third party wants the IDOC data as a IDOC file. So we have created file port and posting the idoc to that file port which creates file in the application server. here is my doubt when it comes to PI design.

requirement: the file name in ECC app server will be name1_<idoc no>. at third party it should be name2_<idoc no>. no data transformation is needed.

design 1: creating java mapping and do the dynamic configuration for the file name using dummy message types.

design 2: there is a adapter module provided by SAP which converts idoc text file to XML and vice versa. use that module and get the XML, do one to one mapping, using UDF change the file name by dynamic configuration. in message mapping we can import the idoc structure.

Please advice me which is effecive one in all aspects like performance, cost etc..

Thanks in advance,

--Naresh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i can tell you my opinion, the design 2 probably should be the best approach,

consider maintainance, developing and easy Component Process integration model design.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are on PI 7.3. then i would suggest spantaleaoni's suggestion.

Best Regards,

Ravikanth Talagana

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

--> This is feature,i mean standard adapter module is available in PI 7.0 version onwards.

Please refer the below article.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80b8db75-e481-2d10-7e94-81e1e2959...

In the above article please check the blog.

Thanks

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Sorry. I was wrong. The option of using Module to Convert IDoc XML to Flat File and Vice Versa is available from PI 7.1 EhP1 (NOT PI 7.0) onwards. This document confirms the same : http://help.sap.com/content/documentation/netweaver/ReleaseNotes_PI_730SP1_FINAL.pdf (Page 21)

The document that you have provided talks about IDOC to file based approach (NOT using the module).

Best Regards,

ravi

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

refer the comments title SERVICE PACK in the below blog.

/people/william.li/blog/2009/04/01/how-to-use-user-module-for-conversion-of-idoc-messages-between-flat-and-xml-formats

-->The link which i provided is just expains about how to convert IDOC into either .txt and xml and how PI can handle them by using the standard module provided by SAP.

anyways Ravi......i think i am diverting the actual thread question....... ................................

also thanks for the PI7.3 link )

Thanks

Edited by: pavan kumar on Jul 28, 2011 11:41 PM

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

--> Any more suggestions please on this design..................

Thanks

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Go with Design 1. This design is simpler than option 2. Less work. Performance wise both are Okay. We just do dynamic configuration in java mapping in option 1 and using UDF in 2. But doing adapter module is extra step and more maintanance is option 2.

I would go for simple design1. Hope you know what to do in option 2

Refer Raghu reply in this [link|]

Also for pass through without mapping refer the below link

/people/william.li/blog/2006/09/08/how-to-send-any-data-even-binary-through-xi-without-using-the-integration-repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

For adapter module, is possible to use standard Module [IDocXmlToFlatConvertor|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/74/a45bc07e2043fb9b63295229178903/content.htm]

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right. I meant we can avoid message transformation logic idoc to flat xml in option 1. But both the design options would work with no issues.