cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can request once released & transported from dev be again released & trasp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends ,

I have released and transported a request from dev. server to prod. server. In prod server , it is not giving required output . So I have to make changes in code in dev . server . But while saving It asks for reuest no., Now my question is whether i should save it in same reauest which i transported, OR

whether I should save it in OWN request , OR

whether I should create a new request.

NOW i want to know

1> if i save it in same reauest which i transported , can it be again transported with changes reflecting in prod. server.

2> what is use of OWN request & what will happen if i save it in OWN request.

3> if I create a new request., then again i have to save all objects associated with it in this request and again i have to release and transport this request which I dont want because if I miss a single object or a change to save in this request , transport will not be successfull.

So I want to know correct & most efficient way of doing above thing. The main thing is that if I write single line in additon to earlier code in dev sever. to reflect that change in prod sever what is the best way ? so that I dont have to do Labour work of again creating a request & releasing & transporting it.

Last thing basic Qu,.--> Can a request once released & transported from dev be again released & trasported after making changes in dev . so that changes get reflected in prod.

With Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

3> if I create a new request., then again i have to save all objects associated with it in this request and again i have to release and transport this request which I dont want because if I miss a single object or a change to save in this request , transport will not be successfull

For the above question:

Suppose you are have created a program with three includes A B and C, and you have transported them under a CTS to target system and found some issues there in B include.

Now you want to correct those issues and do changes under a new transport, there is no need of transporting all the three includes again. But you only transport the include B in which you have error. because the other objects A and C are already there in the target system.

But if you need to do any subsequent changes in A and C also, then whenever you do a chnage in them, it will ask for the request number, you can either OWN you requst if the request number is not populated automatically or if it is populated then save under the same and transport. (look for the description of the CTS to be sure)

One check you can always do before transporting to target system is to run the object check from menu and consistency check. This will show you any errors in your program or any inactive objects in CTS which may cause issue when you transport to taget system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

koolspy_ultimate
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi it is not possible for a request which once released can not be changed again,

the only thing we can do is that (if you think that if you want all your changes in only one reques ) you make all you changes and same them in one new request, then ask your admin to delete the previous reuest which you dont want and then transport your new request which will have all changes in this request only.

i guess this is the only way for your requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

Once you have released the TR, you can not make any further change in that TR. You will have to create a new TR for any new changes/modificaitons that you are doing to your code. Please note that order of importing transports is very crucial as the changes in the last transport will over-write your previous TRs changes. So make sure that you transport the TRs in correct sequence.

The rest is well explained by Diwakar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashish,

I find that your knowledge regarding Transports is quite less, so please make sure you double check or discuss with someone in your team prior to transporting changes to Production, otherwise it can lead to fairly big issues. Some points worth your noting

>>Already released transport cannot be modified, you CAN'T save anything now in that transport anymore.

>>OWN request is nothing but the list of non-released transports in your name, so if you want to assign a change to any of your already existing request use this option and choose the required transport.

>> For any new change, just like you are changing the code again now, you have to create a new request and transport it further.

>> Already released and imported request can be imported in target system as many times as you want (depends on a basis setting which is generally ON), but it will still carry the old version (which was the version when this transport was Released).

I am sure there will be lot of info here on SCN, please search if needed.

BR,

Diwakar