cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNP to PPDS Block planning steel VC or CDP

former_member584840
Participant
0 Kudos

I am looking to set up a working model for steel rolling schedules using block planning and to be able to send a

forecast from DP to SNP, then plan in SNP and then send to PPDS with block planning and manage the blocks in DS.

Looking at these 2 key areas of the SAP help.

Block planning

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/ed/310538c7cb583ae10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

((IN PARTICULAR - see "Downloading SNP BLOCKS" within this))

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/b1/947337e68ae526e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

Planning with Characteristics

And Dr Frank Horlacher's article

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0b347b8-0d3b-2d10-1f8c-9a2cd06dd...

It seems to me that

1. I need to change our APO system from VC to CDP

SPRO

AdvancedPlanOpt>Basis Setting> Define Configuration Schema (CDP or Variant Configuration)

and

2. From the First SAP help link, the only way to send data from SNP to PPDS Blocks is using configurable materials

with classifications.

3. Will have to change my SNP planning book from a monthly view to a daily view to be able to send the data into

the blocks.

BUT - looking at the below quote from Franks article:

"In SNP we use planning products with no classification data."

This makes me think that maybe I can instead use the VC config and non-configured materials with a simple 1:1

relationship between product and resource (the resource being the block planning resource) and send data from SMP

to PPDS.

Has anyone tried this? Or know if I can send SNP data to PPDS Blocks using VC config?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

frank_horlacher
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

here are my answers:

It seems to me that

1. I need to change our APO system from VC to CDP

SPRO

AdvancedPlanOpt>Basis Setting> Define Configuration Schema (CDP or Variant Configuration)

and

[Answer] We build and tested the solution with CDP settings.

2. From the First SAP help link, the only way to send data from SNP to PPDS Blocks is using configurable materials

with classifications.

[Answer] You need to have product variants in APO with pre set characteristic values in the master.

3. Will have to change my SNP planning book from a monthly view to a daily view to be able to send the data into

the blocks.

[Answer] time buckets should be no problem, because the system will convert from the SNP buckets to the block periods.

BUT - looking at the below quote from Franks article:

"In SNP we use planning products with no classification data."

[[Answer] maybe I was not precise enough on this topic. The planning product have to be variants with predefined characteristic values in the product master.

This makes me think that maybe I can instead use the VC config and non-configured materials with a simple 1:1

relationship between product and resource (the resource being the block planning resource) and send data from SMP

to PPDS.

[Answer] I do not think that this works, because the system compares the characteristics of the block definition with the characteristics in the class of in the product variant. If these are identical the system uses the resource utilization from SNP to build the PP/DS blocks.

BR Frank

former_member584840
Participant
0 Kudos

Both very helpful answers and though still not 100 percent sure if Block planning being fed from SNP using the VC setting would definitely NOT work, there is enough doubt for me to change the test system I am using to CDP and creating out scenario using CDP. Will then later decide whether to simply continue with CDP and change all systems, or go back and see if can still use VC instead.

Changing from VC to CDP. Now that is fun. Finally got it to work.

Thanks to all for feedback.

abhay_kapase
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jejeje,

I will try to answer your questions one by one.

//1. I need to change our APO system from VC to CDP

It depends on your scenario.

If you set your client to VC, the configuration of an object is at high level.

E.g. If you have MTO, The sales order is configured. All planned orders and components have reference to the sales order configuration.

If you have MTS for a component this component loses its reference to the sales order.

In CDP on the other hand every object can have a configaration of its own.

Characteristic values from the sales order are propagated to the planned orders and components.

The propagation also works in MTS scenarios if you have defined object dependencies in your BOM and routing which are transferred to the APO PDS.

+Don't get confused with the quote you mentioned. It is for "planning products" Its a different concept all together.

planning products may not be actual physical products. You plan on planning products but they are not the actual finished products.+

You also have to activate characteristic based forecasting in DP MPOS. you also have to use consumption group for using descriptive characteristics and release this CBF to SNP using this consumption group.

I hope this explanation is of little help to you.

Regards,

Abhay Kapase