cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating First track...Query about consolidation system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a development, one test and one production system....

Total 3 in nos...

Now, when we saw in NWDI landscape configurator...we observed that there are 4 check boxes....

Dev System, Consolidation System, Test , Production..

What will be impact if we do not configure the Consolidation system.... ?

If it is mandatory...then can we enter details for it in NWDI similar to our Dev system..?

Or do we need to create a separate system for consolidation in our landscape....?

Thanking you in anticipation..........

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the runtime system configuration is only relevant from deployment point of view.

As also mentioned by John, they are optional, meaning, if you don't define any, then no central deployment will take place when you import, activate, etc. If you specify say only dev and prod runtime systems, then only to these systems will be the changes deployed.

Caveat factor: This does not mean that you won't have consolidation buildspace. You still need to import your changes to consolidation phase, the lack of a consolidation runtime system is only that no deployment will be triggered by nwdi.

Also important that you must not specify the nwdi system as any kind of runtime system.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Irvin and John...

I have one more doubt on this front.

I have already established a Runtime system for Development.

Now based on your inputs I realise that i do not need it...

But by now, I have imported all SCA in Consolidation system in NWDI and imported configuration in NWDS...and have made changes as well to the code...

However, I have not checked - in any activity........

Now, can I uncheck that Development system checkbox under runtime systems in CMS ? as I do not require it...!

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you can uncheck it.

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Please go through the below mentioned blog to get deeper understanding. I hope it clears off all your doubts...

:[Source Code Journey (NWDI under the Hood)|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/25521] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

The Runtime Systems as explained by Ervin, basically indicate that, on certain operations like "activation" or "import into Consolidation" CMS triggers a central deployment (please note that it is "Central Deployment" and not "Central Build"). CMS decides the system on which the deployment should happen, based on the Runtime Systems that are maintained in your track.

So let us assume that you have selected Development as well as COnsolidation System in you track as a runtime system.

Then, following sequence of operations will be realized.

1) When you check-in your source code changes specific to your activity will be copied from DTR-Client to DTR Inactive workspace of your track on the Server.

2) When you activate your activity, CBS will trigger a central build request to be performed on the source code present in Inactive DTR workspace of your track,

3) If the build goes successful, then the same source code is copied into the active DTR workspace of your track, plus a compiled version of the same source code gets settles into the Development Build space (_dev) od your track.

4) And last but not the least... CMS triggers the Central Deployment on the Development Server as you have maintained it as a Development Runtime System in your track (If you have not maintained it, then deployment doesn't happen that system).

5) But, as explained in point number 3, the Build space does get filled with the newly compiled version containing your changes.

I hope you'll get the entire picture clear now.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou all for the support.......

I was trying to create a track for ESS/MSS customization....

Things have been successfull....and I am able to modify the code and transport it to Test system.....

If I face any other issue moving further.....I will open a new thread...........

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> Also important that you must not specify the nwdi system as any kind of runtime system.

>

> Best Regards,

> Ervin

hi Ervin,

can you give more info on this point?

our nwdi is setup in QA server, wihch is also the runtime system of test.

thanks

John

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

you are welcome, John

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

sure, here you go:

#754143 -- CMS remarks/restrictions

(http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/754143)

Excerpt from the note:

"Do not use CMS server as a runtime system:

Do not use the J2EE Engine, on which the CMS is running, as a runtime system. When you import software components that have offline deployment portions, deployment causes a deadlock. In other words, the CMS is shut down by the import that it is

supposed to check."

Best Regards,

Ervin

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tons of thanks:)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

sure, you can uncheck it. It means only that as of that point no deployment will take place to the that runtime system which you have specified on that configuration. It is not affecting your ongoing development.

Best Regards,

Ervin

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

runtime system is not mandatory, you can leave it empty.

you can put any system there, no issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou Sir,

I will revert back if I face any issues further...

Need to check complete cycle till TEST system...