cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiration timeout from MDM workflow

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! We have set up workflow for approval of the item loaded into MDM using the Approve function/step. Now, when the approval is left idle past the timeframe (e.g. 1 hr here for testing), an email was sent out to the approver and owner of the workflow. However, after 24 hours, the same workflow was sent out again. May I know whether this is how the standard works? Is there a way to stop the 'reminder' workflow once the first email has gone out, i.e. we only want the notificaiton once?

Also, can I check whether there is a way to change the message in the expiration email?

Cheers!

SF

Edited by: SF on Jul 27, 2011 3:35 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP confirmed that it is standard functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for updating SF!

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Under the Approval Stencil you have option of setting time after which expiration mail is sent,and also owner is notified.

This expiration mail goes after defined timelimit.I think you cannot edit the content of this mail,you can only edit for the standard notify step.

Can you confirm that the other mail sent after 24 hrs was sent for expiry of this step and not expiry of the WF?Please check the workflow expiry time also.

Thanks,

Ravi

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I have set the expiration duration to be 1 HR. And after that time, I did get the expiration email. However, after 24 hrs, I get the same expiration email again. I suspect I will get that again tomorrow.

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Yes you are right if settings are such tomorrow a mail will again be triggered.

I guess there is a setting "Iteration Threshold" in the settings details of Approve stencil,the number you keep there will be the number of times expiry notification sent.Change that to 1 and let me now you findings.

Thanks,

Ravi

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I thought the Iteration notification is different from the expiration notification for the Approve step in that it is about how much times the approval has failed? In anyway, I will test again with a shorter iteration (changed to 1) and see how it relates to the expiration notification.

One thing I cannot understand is by setting the expiration duration to 1 hr, if the expiration notification is to repeat, shouldn't it repeat every hourly rather than every 24 hours after the first notification (which should be the only one notification) is sent?

Thanks.

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI SF,

Yes I know you are right that means no of times one can reject,just want to find if that changes the mail frequency.

Technically speaking you are right,even we faced a similar issue in our last project.Client did not want to get such recurring mails,one way was to set the expiry time same as the WF expiry but this practically defeats the purpose.

I did not find any setting to control this other way,guess thats the way it is designed,First mail at expiry of step and 1 reminder a day.

Thanks,

Ravi

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! After testing for a few days, I can say that the expiration notification is repeating itself after every 24 hours. Has anyone experienced a different behaviour?

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

We have this setting,

Duration Timeout - Amount of elapsed time to allow before sending a notification

Just to confirm,os it is not working on hourly basis when it is set for 1 hr after first mail?

If thats the case,I have not seen any documentation for this behavior.

Please let me know if yo have any update on this.

Thanks,

Ravi

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The notification works when it sent the first email but after that the same email was sent every 24 hrs.

Example:

Approval email sent on 1st Aug, at 10:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 1st Aug, at 11:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 2nd Aug, at 11:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 3rd Aug, at 11:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 4th Aug, at 11:00 am and so on until I complete the workflow job.

This doesn't make sense to me as I think the following behaviour makes more logical sense to me (not that it is a good result):

Approval email sent on 1st Aug, at 10:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 1st Aug, at 11:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 1st Aug, at 12:00 am.

Expiration email sent on 1st Aug, at 13:00 am.

Regards

SF