cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP VMware Golden Template

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to create an SAP template in VMware (using vCenter Server 4.1) to easy clone the system for my customers.

Is there any documentation how I can create a SAP (Netweaver 7.0) System VMware Template

and clone for example to another SID or Hostname without a SAP system copy ?

Does anybody has any suggestions or tips to create/manage easily hundreds of VM SAP Systems, cloned

from one SAP VMware "Golden" template ?

Best regards

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there any documentation how I can create a SAP (Netweaver 7.0) System VMware Template

> and clone for example to another SID or Hostname without a SAP system copy ?

This is not supported.

> Does anybody has any suggestions or tips to create/manage easily hundreds of VM SAP Systems, cloned

> from one SAP VMware "Golden" template ?

There exist external (non-SAP) products who can do all the postprocessing automatically (more or less).

Note 757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

Note 8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

There is no easy one-click solution.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

do you know some of the "non-SAP products who can do all the postprocessing automatically (more or less)" ? or can you suggest a software ?

I know than the cloning of SAP Systems are not supportet by SAP, but do you know what tasks are needed to change a SAP System (SID, Hostname, License, DB etc.) for example with a batch script, shell script, etc. ? that it can be called a new SAP system ?

Best regards

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP will release an own product which will be capable of doing such things: the [SAP NetWeaver Landscape Virtualization Management.|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/virtualization?rid=/webcontent/uuid/50e4c56e-39e9-2d10-6e87-bd8924b3d66a] [original link is broken];

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> do you know some of the "non-SAP products who can do all the postprocessing automatically (more or less)" ? or can you suggest a software ?

I know that IBM has software for this (don't know the name), there's UC4 and more, just do a quick search on google (automate system copy). We tested UC4, it worked nicely but it was way too expensive for us.

> I know than the cloning of SAP Systems are not supportet by SAP, but do you know what tasks are needed to change a SAP System (SID, Hostname, License, DB etc.) for example with a batch script, shell script, etc. ? that it can be called a new SAP system ?

Well - the scripts is the knowledge, that's what you pay when you buy external software. What needs to be done is listed in the two notes I gave you. Since this is highly operating system, database and system dependent there will not be a solution that you can simply adapt. We have scripts to do this on Solaris and Linux for ABAP systems, though not for all tasksk, quite a few things have to be done manually.

On Windows things are even more complicated since usually the users (SAPService<SID> etc.) are part of a domain and can't be simply "renamed".

Markus