Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do this join?

former_member283700
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Consider 3 tables in a universe, A,B and C. Table A is joined to table B on ClaimNumber and ClaimantNumber and this works fine.

Now, I need to join table A to table C and thought the same joins would work.

However, on closer inspection, though tables A and C both have ClaimNumber and ClaimantNumber, for some reason ClaimantNumber on C is defined as 10 chars, where as elsewhere it is 3 chars. The joins don't work.

I need a way of joining the tables by the trimmed ClaimNumber and ClaimanatNumber, does anyone know how this can be done please?

Many thanks

Eddie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member283700
Participant
0 Kudos

Why is it every time I post a question I then discover the answer myself! I should post more often! The simple solution is this:

Edit join in universe. The edit join window appears. At the bottom is the expression text. I changed it to read:

ltrim(rtrim(A.CLAIMANT_NO))=ltrim(rtrim(C.CLAIMANT_NO))

I then did this for the other join and it works great.

Eddie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eddie,

The one caveat I would add is that the trim functions could well cancel out your indexing.

If you are on Oracle, ask your DBA to have a look at adding function-based indexes for you.

Regards,

Mark

former_member283700
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, we're on SQL server so hopefully OK!

Former Member
0 Kudos

SQL Server (2008) doesn't use function-based indexes to improve performance but what you can use is competed columns if you find that performance is not great. Have a look at this thread on msdn for reference if it comes to it:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/670fd1c5-5990-4ab4-96d6-fe72a...

Regards,

Mark