Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Records via Workflows

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we delete records in our system by executing a workflow ?? Please explain how ??

Regards,

Vignesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

I agree with Ravi,Deleting a existing record in SAP MDM means flagging it for deletion at Company level/Plant level etc.

But Deleting a record while creation can be done using workflow.

In creation workflow checkout on the record at start step,and in due course of approvals if there is a scenario of deleting the record if rejected,update a flag.Branch based on this flag using a validation and at Stop step Roll Back.This should delete the rejected entry.

Please go through pg 11 of this guide :

http://213.41.80.15/SAP_ELearning/OKEC/nav/content/011000358700005402302006e.pdf

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I already have the delete flag indicator in my system and the XI populates the value in that field , Manually doing this process would be the last option. Is there any work around for this issue ??

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Let me confirm the requirement:

You want to achieve deletion of record in MDM if it is rejected in the workflow.

If this is the case,You can do this by RollBack option in the Record Creation workflow.

Please let me know in case of any more queries.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The data is already there in the MDM system , if the users need to delete the record from the MDM system they send the record from the R3 system with the "Deletion Flag Indicator" ie X. Now the challenge is that the XI cannot just stop the record from their end just because the indicator is set because the data is already present in the MDM system. So what we do is we import the data with the indicator and mark all the record which has to be deleted from there on we have a validation to select out the records with the deletion flag indicator . So we have the data to be deleted , only challenge is that the work flows is not capable to doing any action on those records .

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This is not possible in MDM. Physical deletion has to be done manually.

Roll back option will only roll back the changes done as part of the workflow process.

Thanks-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Yes I agree Roll Back will take to previous save point,and so I suggested for creation scenario only.

Your challenge is to delete automatically a record if some data has Company level deletion flag as "X".

Now,before going ahead trying to develop a workaround I would like to ask that how will you manage undeletion of some record in ECC?How will MDM be updated?And if MDM does not have records with deletion flag it will be new creation scenario incase there is a Undelete scenario in ECC.

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

we do not a scenario where we undelete the records in the ECC systems , so i do not think we will face an issue with the problem you have described.

The other option which i had is that after the records are marked for deletion in the MDM system these records could be filtered when it is sent to the othr systems . can this be atleast done from the MDM end . can i write a validation in MDM system and send across only those records which are NOT marked for deletion.

Scenario: Data is present in the MDM system with delete Flag Indicator. Now when SRM system grabs the data from MDM system can i send the filered data only ????

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is possible. You can define a separate syndication map with this filter and the records marked for deletion can be sent to SRM.

Thanks-Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Please explain the difference between "Extracting" and "Syndicating".

My knowledge on these.

Syndication: MDM system has full control on the data and we can apply any filter on this.

Extraction : The data which is present in the system is drawn at one stretch and MDM does not have control on the Data.

Pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

If Undelete is not a concern then we ca have 2 options:

1.as you and Ravi rightly pointed out that syndication can be done based on a Flag.

This can be done also as a part of MDM workflow,using branch step in WF where you create a validation and the defined syndication takes place in the branch.

2.You can try Exporting the data using a serch criteria in Data Manager based on that Flag.

Reimport the file connecting to the Import Manager,Keep the Primary key as Matching Field and for Matching Type "Exact" choose "Delete".This has to be tried and is manual.

This can also be automated using a WF and PI would be required to pic file from syndicated point to a Inbound Port for which the Import Map is defined in the same manner as above.You can launch this workflow after there are 10/50 or some defined number of records with the Flag set.

Syndication is sending out data from MDM to remote system,in this process MDM has control of setting Filters and PI too has the control of Validatng/Setting fileters at data.

Extraction - MDM does not have Push/Pull programs/mechanism so it relies on PI/other interfaces/APIs for import of data.

It can filter record here too and also have workflows to control what data is coming in MDM system.PI too can help in this regard.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

My architecture :

R3 -

> MDM <----

SRM

As u see MDM receives the data from R3 system and the SRM system looks up to the data in MDM for their use . So when the SRM systems looks into our data , they have both proper and improper data .

Is there any way we can delete or filter out the data when the SRM system looks into MDM system.

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

So when R3 system sets a deletion flag on a record that flows into MDM system and what you want to achieve is that once that happens it should not be visible to SRM.Meaning thereby it should get deleted from MDM.

Do a test run,Set deletion flag yes for a record in MDM,export the data out.Manually import it back,match it with a primary key(say catalog id) ,set "Delete" as Import action in Import Manager for Exact Match.Check if data is deleted in MDM.

Let me know your findings.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I have not come across "Delete" import action in MDM system .

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Please go through this link:

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Please correct me if i'm wrong . But the option delete can be obtained only for Qualified tables in the system. what if i want delete the record from the main table , will that be possible ???

Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vignesh for the patience

Please follow this link and try again:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/12036df94c3e92e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Try for one record.

Please let me know your findings as I have not tried this scenario before.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

In the reference guide is saw 2 different section for importing action.

1) Source record import action

2) Desrination record import action.

As you suggested i was doing a test run on this .

Scenario:

I have one record in DM with del flag indicator set to 'X' , and PI sent me a file which is matching the record in the DM so its an exact match . but in the source record pane i cannot see any option for Delete. Its all grayed out . Neither it is reflected in the destination records.

I see that the Delete option is available only for the Filtered/Destination , Please explain this in simple terms.

Regards,

VIgnesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Filtering allows you to set filter on the matching field values of your import map.

This is a grey area for me but this is worth giving a shot.

Follow the steps given here andlet me know your findings:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0245870-0adf-2b10-46a8-ca9dcf8e1...

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the link, it really helps a lot.

Vignesh,

I tried your scenario at my end, it works superbly.... Map Material Number and Flag in Map fields under Match Records tabs combine the Material Number and Flag and right click from the context menu select filter by selecting [Mapped Values] then the Filterd is enabled for changes from there you can select the import action to Delete and the execute the map it will delete the record from the repository.

Let know if you need any help.

I think you dont need a workflow also, a different map and port will do.

Note: I did the Testing in MDM 5.5 SP06, i am not sure about MDM 7.1 hope it should work

regards

Sowseel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

Thanks for testing out the scenario

I was following your posts on the same issue in other threads and basically we were working on the same issue using different approach,good to know it can be done.

Hi Vignesh,

Please update us on this,also please tell which version of MDM you are using.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

I tried of the the same manner . First, Have mapped the Material number and Deletion flag field to the respective destination fileds then combined both. then from the Record button in menu tried selecting the Set filter button but it is grey out and not able to do any.

Note : Here i have Mat no, Plant code and Logical system as Matching criteria. Is any addition or change required in Matching criteria..

My MDM version is 5.5.

Any suggestions ,

Thanks

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

I tried of the the same manner . First, Have mapped the Material number and Deletion flag field to the respective destination fileds then combined both. then from the Record button in menu tried selecting the Set filter button but it is grey out and not able to do any.

Note : Here i have Mat no, Plant code and Logical system as Matching criteria. Is any addition or change required in Matching criteria..

My MDM version is 5.5.

Any suggestions ,

Thanks

Pradeep

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,Ravi.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I tried out a scenario selecting the Product ID and Delete Flag indicator. But when i came down to "Set Value Conversion Filter" nothing was enabled. Is there a data type which is checked to put in these filters . Plese explain how this works ??

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vignesh,

Hope, it functions keeping the Deletion flag indicator as Display field.

thanks

Pradeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vignesh,

Hope, it functions keeping the Deletion flag indicator as Display field.

Then go to Matching filed tab, here right click and see you would get the Filter option and could see the import acton : delete activated.

Thanks and regards,

Pradeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Before running the test please make sure that you set appropriate import action and set the filter by right clicking on the combined field.

Let me know your findings.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

What I understand from my testing is there should be one display field in the combination and the display field which is mapped should be unique..

So in both of your cases material no and part number will be unique and they will be display fields....

Please give a one more try.....

Regards

Sowseel

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

These are the constraint i need to filter on . Please let me know how this can be acheivable .

Fields : Product ID (Not a display Field) , Delete flag ( May Or may not be a display field)

Source Destination Expected

P ID (True) and DF (True) P ID (True) and DF (True) Delete Record from DM

P ID (True) and DF (False) P ID (True) and DF (False) Update All Mapped fields

P ID (True) and DF (True) P ID (True) and DF (False) Skip Record

Regards,

Vignesh

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi vignesh,

For the deletion scenario from main table your Product ID field needs to be a Display field.

Scenario 1:

P ID (True) and DF (True) P ID (True) and DF (True) Delete Record from DM

As by your scenario3 what i understand is you will not update the records(Skip) which are marked for deletion in ECC so the scenario 1 will be a one time import.

For Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 we can design a workflow based on a validation we can roll back the imported records which has Deletion flag set to TRUE using the standard map.

All of your scenarios canot be achieved in a single map using the Dynamic filter.

What i suggest is keep a port and map for scenario 1(if you want the deletion happen automaically) and for the rest you can have another port and import map

Please let me know am i understanding your scenarios correct?

reagrds

Sowseel

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

The problem here is that i cannot have 2 different maps and ports for the same . i receive all the data in one port.

But i am still not familiar with applying fileters . Please send me a detailed mail with screen shots .

What confuses me is that i am not able to select 2 different fields and apply a filter on that . Pls explain in ur screen shots that scenario.

Please find my ID on the Dashboard.

Regards,

Vignesh

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

Have you checked the filtering by making your Product Id field as a display field and follow the document which Ravi posted.. i followed the same it works...

Regards

Sowseel

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

Thanks for the document , really hepled a lot. i came to know where i was going wrong .

But still the limitation of filter is that it works as a IF condition. If the condition is true one path is taken else the other . but as my scenario explains there are 3 scenarios . So the only thing that can be done is that the PI sends me the file in 2 different ports and then i can filter out all my conditions and put it to respective places.

Thanks a lot Ravi and Sowseel.

Regards,

Vignesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh

Deleting a record from MDM is always a manual step. Define a flag in Data model as "Deletion Flag". In the MDM workflow you can define a Process step in which the user can mark the records for deletion. You can also put an Assign step which marks the record for deletion. Once the workflow is completed the records marked for deletion can be manualy deleted.

Note that any record which is part of workflow can not be physically deleted.

Thanks-Ravi