cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch process memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Experts,

I have a zprogram that selects from several SAP tables and processes the data and updates a ztable.

When I run this as batch job in sm37 using a 1 year period, this batch program runs for many days and still running.

I look at sm50, the batch process is shown as running and there is no delay and the runtime accumulated is not shown in red.

Looked normal.

I double-click on the process to drill-in to see what is happening.

The process shows the numbers for sequential read, direct read, RSQL are all not changing or increasing anymore. The respective Time (usec) is also not changing or increasing anymore.

The number of inserts, update and delete are all nil.

So, I cancelled the batch job and ran in dialog mode using small time periods. The runtime taken is very little and fast.

I suspect the batch process has shortage of memory allocated. What is the sign that there is memory issue? would the job have dumped? It has not dumped. So, what is the cause of the batch program taking a lot of time to run in batch mode when the time period used in selection is very long date range like 1 year?

I am not sure what to look at to know what is the problem. Would increasing the batch process memory help?

Can I run small chunks of the batch job (shorter time range) concurrently? Would this overcome the batch process runtime issue? Or is the batch process memory be limited by user ID such that 1 user ID is only allowed certain batch memory to use regardless how many batch process is launched?

Below is a snapshot of the sm50 details. All the numbers stopped changing or increasing:

Database___ Number___ Time (usec)___ Recs.

TXXX access___ 0___ 0___

Direct read___ 21___ 18,607___ 2

Sequential read___ 91,341___ 127358563___ 953,884

Insert___ 0___ 0___ 0

Update___ 0___ 0___ 0

Delete___ 0___ 0___ 0

NTAB___ 0 (Bytes)___

RSQL___ 31992,432 (Bytes)___

Commit___ 0___

DB procedure calls___ 0___ 0

Hope SDN can throw me some clues, any clues.

regards

M Russo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have a zprogram that selects from several SAP tables and processes the data and updates a ztable.

>

> When I run this as batch job in sm37 using a 1 year period, this batch program runs for many days and still running.

> So, I cancelled the batch job and ran in dialog mode using small time periods. The runtime taken is very little and fast.

> I suspect the batch process has shortage of memory allocated.

I suspect that your program is not optimized for the database layout or selecting too much data ( select * from <tablname> etc.)

> I am not sure what to look at to know what is the problem. Would increasing the batch process memory help?

Do an SQL Trace using ST05 and check the longrunning statement.

Markus

Answers (0)