cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermec printer and Adobe Forms

former_member207438
Participant
0 Kudos

Has anybody configured an Intermec printer (or any other printer not shipped with SAP) to print via Adobe Document Services using an XDC file?

Is it even possible to copy a new XDC file into ADS \usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\global\AdobeDocumentServices\lib directory, update the TSP0B table with the RSPO0022 and start printing?

I noticed there is a ipl203.xdc XDC file in the Adobe Designer 9.0. This file is for Intermec IPL printers. I thought I could just copy this file to the ADS ...\lib directory, update the TSP0B table and everything will work fine. No luck so far.

The trace file shows "A problem was encountered with the results: RenderResult array is null".

In the ipl203.xdc XDC file there is an entry <renderLib name="ipldriver"/>. Do I need to install ipldriver on the ADS?

Before posting this question I did check notes SAP Note 685571 - "Printing PDF-based forms" and 1444342 - "Device type-independent printing of interactive forms".

Thanks,

Edward

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member207438
Participant
0 Kudos

Intermec guys can install the Zebra simulator and everything works fine. I was able to print labels from Adobe Forms to an Intermec printer.

-Edward

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member207438
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the SAP notes. Very interesting.

I did try overwriting the ipl203.xdc with a Zebra printer file zpl203.xdc. After I copy zpl203.xdc to ipl203.xdc the Print Preview function starts working for the printer with the Intermec device type. Once I copy the original ipl203.xdc back, the "RenderResult array is null" appears in the trace. This exercise proves that the configuration is ok. Just ADS doesn't like the new XDC file.

I found that the Designer 9.0 folder on my laptop has a ipldriver.dll file. I think that is the "missing" renderer.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edward,

Your question interested me, I tried to find information, maybe that will help you to find the solution.

I found this [SAP guide|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/802ca378-5689-2a10-5298-e537562ba939] which explains what the XDC is made of, but unfortunately, it doesn't answer your question about the renderLib. I think you are correct anyway, probably it's a DLL which drives the formatting, by triggering events, from which data is retrieved from the XDC file. A few other ones are bytestreamdriver (for PCL), postscriptdriver...

By the way, you may make sure that the way you register a new XDC is correct, by just copying a working XDC file (I think PCL or PS). Also, did you restart the ADS system, as it seems the restart corrects lots of things (here, maybe the reload of new XDC file). Maybe you could install latest patches too.

I also found in note 1066060 - Printing ADS documents with Kyocera printers, that seems to show that sometimes programs need to be corrected for some device types. Also, SAP recommends to "contact the printer manufacturer to receive a special XDC file" in case of issue.

In note 1417606 - Enhancement of device type assignment table TSP0B, it explains that there are issues with ZPL. Maybe with IPL it could be the same kind of issue.

BR

Sandra