cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for mobile applications for SAP SCM area

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am currently working on generating ideas (business requirements, functionalities) in SAP SCM area which can be be built or simply exposed on mobile devices.

Can you please contribute any idea you might have or direct me to the right source of information you might be aware of.

Rgds

Alok

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alok

While I understand your question, its my humble opinion that this may not be the best way to go about it. I'd start with the organizations mobile strategy - What does the organization hope to get out of it ? What are the areas where they see mobile technology fitting into their competitive strategy ?

Assuming you already have these answers and have identified that Supply Chain is one of those areas, then the next question is what modules/ functionalities of SAP SCM have already been implemented or are in the process of being implemented ? SAP SCM is not one application, but really a whole set of applications, rivalling SAP ECC in scope and complexity. Most companies implement just a fraction of this.

Finally I would break up SAP SCM into three distinct capabilities -

1. Planning

2. Execution Support &

3. Collaboration

Most modules of SCM provide some combination of these capabilities, with a focus on one or two of them. For example, Demand Planning provides primarily planning capability. But it also has functionality for collaboration and even some for Execution Support. SNC is focussed primarily on Collaboration but it also has functionality for Planning.

Mobile technology fits in most with collaboration, not so much in planning, and probably even less in Execution support. As mobile becomes more pervasive, it can extend to planning and execution.

I've specifically not included Supply Chain reporting and analytics, even though that has a very high fit with Mobile, because thats usually not technically within the SAP SCM system.

Rishi Menon

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dattasaheb/Rishi,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and analysis.

Lets look at from the point of view of business requirement of mobility. My current understanding is that wherever the person is mobile (outside of the office premises or even inside the office premises specially for senior resources), he/she might be in a need of scm functionalties exposed on mobile. So for examples approvals is one area which can be made mobile (PO approval is already being developed by SAP).

Can you please give more thought on these lines and provide additional inputs.

Rgds

Alok

Note- Dattasaheb, as far as execution is concerned, i see most of mobile apps are being built in that area only. Can you point out scenarios in collaboration space, pls?

Edited by: Alok Srivastava on Jul 23, 2011 10:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Following are some of the areas which can be considered.

1.SCM APO Process chains / Job monitoring alerts ( failures/ delays etc) and job completion activities can be communicated on mobile devices.

2.KPI reporting in APO DP, SNP, PPDS, GATP, SPP etc. modules

3.In SCM- EWM/ Event Management area- all the relevant events communications

Regards

Datta