cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Refresh Procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have done DB refresh from ECC 6.0 Production to Pre-Prod using the below method but faced inconsistencies with Instance ID:

--> Take Java Export from Source

--> Restore and Recovery DB in Target

--> Java Import in Target using SAPINST by selecting the option "System Copy u2013 Target System u2013 Central Instance Import"

To solve the inconsistencies with InstanceID, After reviewing Note - "966752 - Java system copy problems with the

Java Migration Toolkit" we are planning to follow below method:

--> Take Java Export from Source

--> Restore and Recovery DB in Target

--> Move all the files / directories from /usr/sap/SID to another location. (Only Kernel and Default profile will not be moved.)

--> Using SAPINST, we will go with the option u201CInstall Central Instanceu201D

--> Once the Central installation is done, will do Java Import as before - "System Copy u2013 Target System u2013 Central Instance Import"

Is the above method can be followed & will this solve our inconsistencies, please suggest?

Thanks,

Subbu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Followed System CopyProcedure

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is the above method can be followed & will this solve our inconsistencies, please suggest?

You have to select "ABAP + Java" system copy, not copy them separately.

Markus

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For As Java system, DB restore method is not supported. You need to use export/import method to avoid such problems.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks you for your time. We do have a dual Stack system. (ABAP + JAVA)

We are not provided with any downtime to follow the Export / Import method (DB Size is 7 TB). I think this will be the case with most of the projects..:-), so need to go with Restore and Recovery only.

Did you have a look at the method which I have proposed, will that not work??

Thanks,

Subbu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are not provided with any downtime to follow the Export / Import method (DB Size is 7 TB). I think this will be the case with most of the projects..:-), so need to go with Restore and Recovery only.

You can use backup/restore but you need to select ABAP + Java system - and then select "database copy". This will pack all the Java part and request you to do the backup. You then start again the system copy of "ABAP + Java" in the target system and select again "backup/restore".

This is all covered in the system copy guide.

> Did you have a look at the method which I have proposed, will that not work??

No. The system has to "know" it is a dual stack system (profile parameters etc.)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

You are correct if we are doing a System Copy.

But in our case, we are doing only: Java Export from Source, DB Refresh from Source to Target and finally Java Import in Target.

Target system here is already installed and a Distributed System. So, I feel doing System Copy is time consuming. Am I right?

While doing CI Export in source, I selected Dual Stack. So, will select the option - Dual Stack again while doing the CI Import too...

Thanks,

Subbu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But in our case, we are doing only: Java Export from Source, DB Refresh from Source to Target and finally Java Import in Target.

That is exactly what the "System copy using backup/restore" with ABAP + Java is

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Sorry for not being clear. I did a DB Refresh without using SAPINST.

I used Production Backup and just restored in Pre-Production using BRTOOLS. and recovered using Archive logs of Production.

ABAP will be consistent as all the data will be stored in DB. Where as Java will have some data in OS level also.

Now, to make Java also consistent what should I do?

Hope you understood my concern.

Thanks,

Subbu

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you would not copy SDM repository which lies in file system how you will make system consistent manually. You have to export Java part to make it consistent.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been following the below method which you people are suggesting but still the Java is inconsistent in terms of Instance ID..

--> Export CI from Source

--> Restore & Recovery DB in Target

--> Using SAPINST, select ABAP+java -- Target Sys Inst -- Import CI

But i feel the CI import which we are getting will be having Instance ID which relates to Hostname, SID of Source system. Instance ID which was already stored in the files of Traget system and the one which we are getting from the Source DB will be different and creating inconsistencies...

So, I want to find if there is any other way to make this consistent.. Will it make any difference if I do the below way?

--> Export CI from Source

--> Restore & Recovery DB in Target

--> Remove all the files under /usr/sap/<SID>/

--> Using SAPINST, select ABAP+java -- Target Sys Inst -- Import CI

Please let me know if I am not clear...:-)

Thanks,

Subbu