cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To set the no of Work process and other parameters for 24Gb RAM and 4CPUs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We have BI QAS server-NetWeaver 7.0.

Previously they have 16Gb of RAM with 4 CPUs. Then they increased to 24Gb of RAM.

Now I've to set the parameters like no of work process and other memory parameters.

I don have any idea that how many process to be set for 24 GB Ram. I've gone through the Note : 3223

This note contains information on the formula for setting the parameters rdisp/wp_ca_blk_no, and rdisp/appc_ca_blk_no.

But I want to increase the number of work processes to increases the performance.

Please suggest me in this..

Thanks and regards,

Santhosh Kumar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

finally set the parameters simiLAR TO THE PRODUCTION SYSTEM..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

You have to set the parameter ES/TABLES = SHM_SEGS is set, the allocation sequence for non-dialog work processes is the same as for dialog work processes (first EM, then Heap).

em/initial_size_MB: should be significantly larger than ztta/roll_extension.

ztta/roll_area: a higher value saves on R/3 Extended Memory.

Please rever back to me

Regards

Thomas.T

Edited by: thomas_raja on Aug 16, 2011 12:23 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh

According with SAP recommendations.

The context change for processes on Windows (I guess you are using Windows) is more time-consuming compared to UNIX. Therefore, the recommended number of work processes is smaller than in UNIX systems. On Windows, the number of work processes is calculated according to the number of processors in the system and not according to the number of users. For more information see the following table.

To display the work processes in the system, use transaction SM50.

To determine the number of work processes, use transaction RZ04.

Number of Work Processes on Windows

Number of Processors

Number of Work Processes

1 5-7

2 10-13

4 20-25

But if your Processors has a high number of cores, then you could try to increase the number of Work Process without problems but accordingly to the values above.

Hope it helps you.

Best regards.

Eric Vergara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Am using the AIX os. Please suggest me. I need information of how to set other memory parameters according to this RAM and CPU.

Regards,

Santhosh..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally 1 workprocess will be able to server 4 - 5 users.

As your system's RAM has been increased from 16 GB to 24 GB.

Try to increase the ST02 buffer sizes like Program buffer etc.

You may also increase heap memory by 1GB or more but after analyzing the utilization history in ST02.

If it is the number of work processes, the best way to identify the work process utilization is to schedule the /sdf/mon report.

This report gives the no. of work process utilization at various intervals scheduled by you.

So, based upon the output of this report you may wish to increase the number of work processes.

Please note that, increasing the work processes will also require increasing the Oracle processes and sessions.

Br,

Venky

Edited by: Venkatesh Pydi on Jul 20, 2011 7:01 AM