cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Islands Tutorial I - Confusion with Flex/Flash Builder Versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

i am new to the Adobe Flex/Flash Islands technology and tried to implement Tutorial I by Thomas Jung. Unfortunately i am confused by the various different versions for flex and the corresponding IDE's.

As far as i understood SAP at the moment only supports Flex versions up to version 3.3 for NetWeaver 7 EHP1. Furtheron the Adobe Charting Components (used in the Tutorial) seem to be part of the Flex Builder Professional Version only.

So i went to the Adobe Website and looked into the products and download areas. All i found was Flash Builder 4.5 Premium and the various Adobe and Open Source Flex SDK versions. I am using Flash Builder 4.5 as a trial right now. Unfortunately the Charting Components are not included.

So the question i have is whether the Charting Components (e.g. <mx:BarChart /> )are included in the non Trial version of Flash Builder 4.5 Premium or whether there is any possibility to get them as an Add-On. Or do i have to use Flex Builder 3 Professional (i found no information about this on the Adobe Website)?

Additional Hint:

I found out that when i compile the poject with Flex SDK vesion 3.6 or higher, the compiler knows the <mx:BarChart /> tag. Also in that case the view designer is working. However FlashIslands is only supported up to Flex SDK 3.3. But when i choose 3.3 the <mx:BarChart /> tag and some other related tags are unknown.

This is a really anoying issue.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Edited by: Dirk Jäckel on Jul 19, 2011 12:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

frank_stdle
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Dirk,

wtith Web Dynpro, you can only use Flex SDK version 3.3 and downwards. You can download the SDK here [http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/DownloadFlex3]

Flash Builder ships with Flex SDK 4.5 which is not compatible with WDA flash islands.

As for the charts library, which Adobe referes to as the Data Visualization Component, it is also available as a separate download which can be unzipped into the same directory as the Flex SDK -- the library is available here [http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flex3sdk]

I must say I am also confused, because as far I can tell data visualization component is not included in 3.3, but SAP makes no mention of this. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us on this issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

thx for your reply. I already knew that SAP only supports Flex SDK 2.0 to 3.3. That's why i already downloaded versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 and integrated them into my Flash Builder 4.5.

In the project properties i have choosen SKD 3.3 in the compiler settings. So far so good. The only problem now is that i need the Adobe Charting Components (Data Visualization Components for Flex Builder) for SDK 3.3. Charting works fine with versions starting from 3.6 but as we all know SAP only supports 3.3.

In the link you provided the Data Visualization Components for Flex Builder are in version 3.6 and not 3.3.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Dirk

Edited by: Dirk Jäckel on Jul 20, 2011 9:49 AM

frank_stdle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I think I actually just used the 3.6 visualization library -- it was a while since I did this, so I am a little uncertain. In any case, after some googling I found the correct library.

Try to just unzip the 3.6 visualization library into your Flex 3.3 SDK folder -- there is no reason per se why this should not work.

regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

thx for your very helpful reply. I extracted the Data Visualization Components into the SDK3.3 folder. The tutorial works fine now. It seems to work. I am wondering why SAP does not offer more official information on that matter.

Points will be rewared. Question Answered.

Answers (0)