cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cons of using BPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I know BPM is used when I need to implement a scenario which needs stateful processing. Also BPM is used when I need to go for a synchronous-asynchronous bridge. Also BPM supports good error handling.(Pls correct me if I was wrong any where)

When BPM provides me a lot of advantages why should i avoid using BPM as far as possible. Coz when I go through some previous threads a lot of experts advise not to go for BPM. Can you pls tell me why is that? Any docs where I can find cons of BPM would be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,

Jai Shankar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

in fact there's only one (biggest): performance

when you go for BPM the whole workflow

has to come into action so for example

when your mapping last < 1 sec without bpm

if you do it in a BPM the transformation step

can last 2 seconds + one second mapping...

(that's just an example)

so the workflow gives you many design possibilities

(brigde, error handling) but it can

slow down the process and if you have

thousands of messages the preformance

can be much worse than having the same without BPM

<b>BUT: don't be affraid to use it</b>

in many cases this is the only way and

you can do a lot a lot of tuning (not mentioning

having better servers) to improve the XI's performance

even if you use BPMs

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal,

Thanks a lot. That was precise and made to the point. One more help >><i>you can do a lot a lot of tuning</i>

Can I get any link or docs on how I achieve this?

Thanks & Regards,

Jai Shankar.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

check this out:

http://help.sap.com/bp_bpmv130/Documentation/Operation/TuningGuide.pdf

also check OSS notes for: BPM performance

Regards,

michal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

Please read the section 'Constraints' under this..

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/3c/831620a4f1044dba38b370f77835cc/content.htm">ccBPM</a>

Hope this helps you!

cheers

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jai,

The mappings in XI get executerd on the Java Stack, whereas the BPM is executed in the Business Process EnNgine , which is a part of the ABAP stack.

So, a BPM has multiple calls between the JAVA and ABAP stack and causes a performance bottleneck

Like you mentioned BPM provides Stateful Message Processing and from what I have seen, normally during design stages of any XI Interface, when the choice is between whether to go for a BPM or not , the following questions are asked,

1. What is the number of times the interface will be run per day.

2. Can the interfaebe implmeneted without a BPM and if yes, then what is the approach and what is the disadvantage of avoiding a BPM.

ALso, http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/43/d92e428819da2ce10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Just check the Step types with low and high resource consumption and normally , the decision is based on the entire flow and the requirement of the interfaces.

Regards,

Bhavesh