Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two SCM Systems connected to one ERP System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Here again I got a doubt.

Is it technically possible to connect two SCM Systems via CIF to one ERP System?

Because I heard that we could connect more than one ERP System to one SCM System, but not vice versa.

If you have seen a system in production like this, what are the pros and cons of having such a scenario?

Expecting your valuable replies!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Suresh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh

It is technically possible.

Pros - You may have one SCM system sized for APO planning. Another SCM system may be sized for applications like SPP or SNC. Other reason may be to have one system inside a firewall and one outside (if it can be accessed by external users).

Cons - More maintenance (Service Packs/ OSS notes/ Batch Jobs/ etc). Duplication of master data.

Rishi Menon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

Thanks for your response.

It would be great if you know such a kind of system is running in production.

Best Regards,

Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh,

Speak to your SAP Account Manager, and tell him what type of installation you want to see. He should be able to give you leads.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh

I've seen one ECC 6.0 system connected to an SCM 5.0 system running GATP and another SCM 7.0 system running SNC. Primary reason for two different Production environments was that GATP and SNC were implemented at different points of time and not because of performance reasons.

Rishi Menon

wilian_segatto
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Suresh.

Please provide us a feedback and assign the relevant points for the answers provided in your question.

Thank you!

Will

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

We worked on a client scenario where one SCM APO system was used for demand planning and another was used for SNP and PPDS, both were connected to 3 SAP ECC / R/3 systems.

Main advantage of 2 APO systems could be for globally spread organizations with huge number of plants and DCs where planning also becomes one of the important process.

Demand planning then can be done on one APO system and SNP/PPDS which can on another APO system. In this scenario, there may not be duplication of data .

There can be another advantage of running different business units on different APO systems with one or many SAP ECC systems.

Regards

Datta

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It misses certain points like connecting APO with all the other systems. But it is very clear from the discussion that this could work, if the technical expectations are met.

Thanks,

Suresh

hubert_spohn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

technically it's no problem to connect two or more SCM systems to the same ERP system. We have one for DP/ PP/DS, one for EWM and one for SNC connected to the same R/3 systems. You however might get problems with the bom explosion for planned orders being sent from SCM to R/3.

The bom explosion uses field MARC-APOKZ which is maintained automatically by CIF. If there are multiple SCM system using CIF for product master data the field might not be set up correctly and the bom explosion could be wrong.

As a solution SAP provided OSS note 1576703.

Regards.

Hubert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

I need more info about the special products like GATP or SPP, before closing the thread.

If i have DP as one planning system and SPP as another Planning system. And if both are connected to same ERP system, what will be the pros and cons. I expect your same replies as before, that is, if you have seen or worked on such kind of production scenarios.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Suresh

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

I worked with an ERP Retail system connected to 3 APO systems, One for GATP, one for F&R (Forecast and replenishment and one for transportation management and Alerting.

No problem as the communication channels are setup per module.

I could not find anyone who could explain why we had so many systems but it was very good to keep everybody and some more busy

Regards,

Clemens