cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Request all users to share your valuable knowledge and exprience.

Our SAP,Oracle 10g landscape is on HP-Unix 11.31 in HA environment

Our all the User's machines are on Window XP,2000 O/S and User authentication server is RHEL 5.

Now we plan for a DR solution for our SAP Production server using Oracle Dataguard.

Our DR server will be placed at remote location and has different network.

In case of failover I have planned following :

1. We will create DNS server at Primary site and at remote site (which will be slave or secondary DNS server) where we plant to place DR Server.

2. Both DNS server will be sync in real time for any updated DNS record

3. All client/users/PC have two dns address in their network configuration

4. If one DNS server will down second DNS server from remote site will work.

5. We will assign name to SAP server at primary site.

6. If SAP server will be down then either manually or automatically the record will be change and point out to the DR site SAP server.

So user do not need to change IP address or any thing in their computer (SAP GUI).

7. Existing connection will be disconnected and user has to re-connect.

Thanks in advance,

Nirav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your DR system will have different IP then your production server and also DR server does not have HA configuration. So, you need to change IP at user SAP GUI so that they can login.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sunnay,

Thanks for your reply.

You are right IP and Host name will be different on primary and DR server.

That is the reason I plan for DNS server. PING to DR and primary server is possible thru hostname.

So I can mention hostname at SAP GUI.

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But hostname will also be different. As I see your system is in HA, so hostname will differ.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sunny,

Yes host name on production side is different (HA Environ.)

presently We are using group server or IP Address (in some cases) in SAP GUI to connect with sap at usr's machine.

At DR site server name and ip will be different. Even IP range is also different (diff. network).

What will be the best solution for user to connect with SAP DR site in case of primary failure.

I can create new item log details in SAP GUI at each client machine for DR connectivity. so in case failure user will be disconnect from primary site. And reconnect using DR Logon details which is maintained in SAP GUI.

OR any other solution pl.suggest.

Thanks,

Nirav

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case of primary failure, you need to configure SAP GUI only so that user can login..

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sunnay,

I am not good on network side. So I have a confusion.

I want to know whether DNS Server is required?

Presently we do not have DNS server in landscap.

As mention in earlier post we are giving IP Address in SAP GUI. All the location's users are connected thru point -to-point connectivity.

User will be disconnect when primary goes down. and to connect standby database we need to configure SAP GUI for DR server. So we need to communicate to users only that when we declare that primary goes down they need to connect thru DR server setup from their SAP GUI.

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav