cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS+Database migration and upgradation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are going to do the migration as well as upgade SAP 4.7 version to ECC 6.0 EHP5, and we will

change the OS AIX to Window server 2008 r2 and Oracle database to Sql Server database.

We will have following activities:-

1)Change of non-unicode to uniciode

2)OS and database migration(Oracle to SQLSERVER 2008 r2)

3)SAP R/3 4.7 to ECC 6.0 EHP5 version.

Wanted to ask you the compatibilty in terms of OS+database migration.

We are unable to get any guide from market place, if you know, please navigate the link.

With Regards

Rishav SHarma

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have finalised to go for migration first to Windows and SQL server 2008 then focus on upgrade part.

As you suggested that SAP will support 2008 enviroment for R/3 4.7 when we make a request

for the same?

Also request you Highlight some bottleneck which we could face while migration and upgradation.

With Regards

RIshav Sharma

petra_writz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

we plan an alike path:

Source system: 4.7 / kernel 6.20 / Linux Sles 7 / Oracle 8.1

Target system: ECC 6.0 / Kernel 7.0 / Windows 2008 R2 / SQL Server 2008

We planned the following steps:

1. Export from Oracle an import to Windows 2003 / SQL 2005

2. Homogeneous systemcopy to Windows 2008 / SQL Server 2008 with attach / detach methode

3. Upgrade to ECC 6.0 (without EHP)

Now we are facing two problems:

1. The import to SQL Server 2005 stops on error. Therefor I openend a call.

2. I tried to install a base installation 4.7 1.10 instance as preparation for the Homogeneous systemcopy on W2K8/SQL2008

Here also the import stopped on error at the database load:

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe: sccsid @(#) $Id: //bas/640_REL/src/R3ld/R3load/R3ldmain.c#27 $ SAP

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe: version R6.40/V1.4

Compiled May 25 2011 21:53:32

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe -dbcodepage 1100 -i C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\R3E47X2\SYSTEM\ABAP\MSS\NUC\DB/SAPAPPL0.cmd -l C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\R3E47X2\SYSTEM\ABAP\MSS\NUC\DB/SAPAPPL0.log -loadprocedure fast

(DB) ERROR: db_connect rc = 256

(DB) ERROR: DbSlErrorMsg rc = 99

I used the notes 1476928 and 89111 to prepare the CDs for installation.

I tried the modified kernel DVD with Kernel 6.40 SAR-Files and also with 6.40 EX2-SAR-Files, both the same error.

If I try r3load -testconnect (note 1519000) I get the same error:

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe: sccsid @(#) $Id: //bas/640_REL/src/R3ld/R3load/R3ldmain.c#27 $ SAP

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe: version R6.40/V1.4

Compiled May 25 2011 21:53:32

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run/R3load.exe -dbcodepage 1100 -i C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\R3E47X2\SYSTEM\ABAP\MSS\NUC\DB/SAPAPPL0.cmd -l C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\R3E47X2\SYSTEM\ABAP\MSS\NUC\DB/SAPAPPL0.log -loadprocedure fast

(DB) ERROR: db_connect rc = 256

(DB) ERROR: DbSlErrorMsg rc = 99

r3trans -x also produced an error:

J:\usr\sap\MDE\SYS\exe\run>r3trans -x

This is r3trans version 6.13 (release 640 - 19.01.11 - 17:51:00).

2EETW169 no connect possible: "DBMS = MSSQL --- SERV

ER = 'WSCS0094\SAPMDE' DBNAME = 'MDE'"

r3trans finished (0012).

Does anyone have an idea whats wrong?

(I know release 4.7 is not support with SQL 2008, but I want use the way, which is described in note 1476928).

Thank you for replies

Best regards

Petra Wu00F6ritz

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try to deactivate the UAC on Windows, reboot the machine and try again.

Markus

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manual,

Yes, you are absolutely right in all the concepts. But we have gone through few forums saying

SAP 4.7 is not compatible with windows 2008 and SQL server 2008.

As of now, we have got 3 options.

1)Take our SAP 4.7 to ECC 6.0 version and Oracle 9.0 to 10 g latest

then migrate to 2008 enviroment and do the EHP5 upgradation on target system.

2)we got to know though some forums that SAP 4.7 is supported

in windows 2003 and SQL 2005. With this option we can migrate to 2003 and 2005

enviroment then take it to the latest level of migration in addition with upgadation till EHP5.

3)Upgrade till EHP4 on existing system(SAP 4.7) then do the migrade.

May be existing hardware does not effort EHP5 level.

As you said SAP will support windows 2008 and SQL server 2008 for SAP 4.7, request you to

throw some light on it, as per our knowledge what we have gathered reading the forums that

SAP 4.7 is only supported till WIndows 2003 and SQL server 2005.

Request you help us in chosing one option out of all three options, and in addition provide the

information about the compatibility of 2008 enviroment for SAP 4.7 in case of SAP support.

With Regards

RIshav Sharma

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

if you read PAM for 4.7, you are right that SAP only supports 4.7 on SQL 2005.

But during an upgrade you are temporary allowed to run an 4.7 on SQL 2008.

If you plan to change your hardware and upgrade you oracle from 9 to 10g, i would say this is only

nessecary if your hardware is to weak to run an upgrade in an appropriate time.

To be absolutely sure which environments are supported, i would recommend you to open a ticket at SAP.

You say you have 3 Options:

Option 1: This is not an option for you, because you HAVE to export / import you database for unicode conversion.

If you export your DB, than upgrade to 10g and then import it again to your old hardware, why should you do this?

Its much easier for you to export at the old hardware (oracle 9), and import to your new environment (win 2008 r2, sql 2008 r2).

Option 2: Yes this is an option. I dont know your possible downtime for CU+UC. But if it is not very long, you have to export/import your database parallel. And if you plan to upgrade your SQL Server during your upgrade, your downtime will be much longer, because you are on the same hardware and can only do sequential export / import.

Option 3: If your hardware does not effort EHP 5, it also will not effort EHP 4 i would say. But think about it, your old hardware "only" need to do the upgrade to EHP 5. The unicode conversion will happen on the new hardware

during the import, and SPAU afterwards also on the new system.

You are in an "not PAM supported" environment only for a few hours during the upgrade. There will be no productive usage of your system during this time.

Ask SAP if its ok to upgrade your 4.7 to ECC 6.0 EHP 5 on your Oracle 9i, the export the DB and import it to SQL 2008r2.

Kind regards

Manuel

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

there should not be an problem.

The steps are the following:

1. Install target landscape (Win 2008 R2 + SQL 2008 R2)

2. Do the releasechange from 4.7 to ECC 6.0 EHP 5 on your old AIX Hardware.

3. Unload Database to an exportshare (you have to do this step for UC). Now your DB is in an databaseindependet format.

4. Import the DB export from the share to the new MSSQL database (UC Conversion is now done). Can be done parallel during the export for downtime reasons.

5. Finish Upgrade on Targetsystem (e.g. SPAU)

Hint: The exported DB is ~20% the size of your orginal DB. We had an 1,8TB 4.7 DB. After export it was 200GB. After import with UC the size was 1,1TB.

You are never in an unsupported environment.

Nevertheless SAP supports 4.7 on SQL 2008 R2 during upgrades, but you will never have this situation.

Kind regards

Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also got a following link of SDN forum saying R/3 is supported to SQL SERVER 2005 not 2008.

Request you to revise it again and give your inputs that first rather than migration we have to go ahead

with up-gradation then migration or migration then upgration.

We will do the migration in the following manner:-

OS DATABASE

AIX WINDOWS 2008 R2

Oracle SQL SERVER 2008 R2

Request you to give your inputs ASAP.

With Regards

Rishav Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

Yes, exactly as I mentioned. R/3 47 is not supported after Windows Server 2003/MS SQL 2005.

So your current R/3 47 system on AIX/Oracle should be upgraded to ERP ECC 6.0x. Once upgraded, the ECC 6.0x can be migrated to Windows Server 2008/MSSQL 2008. You could perform the migration as a part of the Unicode conversion.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

We will convert non-unicode to unicode while migrating AIX to Windows and ORACLE to SQL SERVER 2008 R2.

Still i have doubt that what we are going to do migration and upgradation in some another OS and database enviroment

is compatible with each other or not?

With Regards

RIshav SHarma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

As per the PAM, R/3 47 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 - so most probably you would have to upgrade first and then perform a unicode conversion+migration.

Best Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

Please check http://service.sap.com/pam to plan the migration activities. You would need to decide if you plan to do a Combined Upgrade and Unicode Conversion(CUUC) or seperate the unicode conversion from Upgrade. The guides for CUUC are available at http://service.sap.com/unicode@sap.

Use the PAM link to check if your intermediate systems (like UC 4.7 is supported on Windows 2008 R2). All the standard guides required for the upgrade, migration and unicode conversion are available on the service market place. You would need to go through all these and put in a plan. I would recommend you to check out this blog series for an idea:

/people/chris.kernaghan/blog/2011/06/21/architecting-an-sap-upgrade-and-unicode-conversion-cuuc-series-part-1

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Srikishan