SAP MDM 7.1

SAP NW EP 7.01

SAP ECC IDES 6.04

SAP CE 7.2

&

HDD u2013 6TB

OS u2013 Win 2K8 R2

DB u2013 SQL Server 2K8 R2

We have HP Ultrium 2 Tape drive have been installed, we are planning to do offline backup first and then for online backup on regular basis.

As per my understanding for R/3 systems we can use DB12 for backup and not sure about Portal backup tool in SAP.

Can anyone please help me in sap best practise documents and links for backup procedure and store on tape drive.

Regards

Ponnusamy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Ponnusamy P

you can use the Symantec Backup exec 2010 R2 or 3 we have same thing in our sap environments

Regards

S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

After going through the sap help documents, I can understand, backup procedure defined in DB12 is online backup.

And for Portal, there is no sap tools for backup and we only need to use database specfic tools

like (in SQL Right click on DB id and follow steps for backup) and for file system, we have to use OS inbuilt functionalities.

please correct me and give me more details, if anything I missed.

Regards

Ponnusamy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> And for Portal, there is no sap tools for backup and we only need to use database specfic tools

> like (in SQL Right click on DB id and follow steps for backup) and for file system, we have to use OS inbuilt functionalities.

You can schedule the portal backup using another ABAP system and transaction DBACOCKPIT.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ponnusamy,

To schedule/back up a sap system with sql database regularly you requires a third party back up tool such as symantec backup exe or CA arc serve. i am using the arc serve backup tool for the last 4 yeras in differnet sap instances and it is working without any error. you have to install the software and configure it for the tape devices. most of the tape libraries and databaes are supported, and cost wise it is cheaper than symantec. Microsoft has been disabled the back up tool form the latest version of windows (server2008) and they are providinng a new add on to take back up of wndows and SQL database, it is called DPM. It is available from micrsoft site to download and deploy but requires additional license.

Regards,

subin.A.p

Former Member
0 Kudos
markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Be aware of the fact, that you will need a 3rd party backup tool since Windows 2008 (R2) has no tape driver support built in.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to configre the init<DBSID>.sap. See below for more details.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/47/0b7231887d63efe10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm

About portal backup, first take database backup as mentioned above and then you need to take a Filesystem backup of you /usr/sap/<SID> (portal SID) You can use OS standard tools to backup this. Check http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/47/0b7231887d63efe10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm