cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to create a new sandbox system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

My goal is setting up a new SAP sandbox system that will be an exact copy of ECC60 Development and I came up with 2 approaches:

1.-Create a clone of ECC Dev system.

-same SAP-SID of my ECC60 Dev

-different hostname

-same SPs and data as ECC60 Dev (even SAP profiles).

Since "hostname" and "SID" come from different places, the SAP profile names are messed up and I didnt manage to start sap. I would have to change "manually" SAP profiles to match with then new hostname (the clone brought ECC dev host name), etc in order to start SAP... is this feasible or is too complex?

2.-Use an SAP ECC 60 system I recently installed

- different SAP-SID

- different host-name

- different SPs and data

And then apply a homogenous system copy in order to have this sanbox system with the exacly data/SPs as ECC60 Dev.

Can you guys give me some light on what approach to use (less complex, fastest,...) or if there is another strategy to do this kind of things? I do not have SAP TDMS.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have two option as per the homogeneous guide.

1. Start Sap installation master on Sandbox and when it prompt to restore the backup restore the Database of your Dev system and then continue the installation.

2. Create an export of Dev system through sapinst and install then sandbox with that export.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

Technically change the sap profile and parameters today with old hostaname is Ok.

However I advice you do a homogenius system copy.

What the database do you have ?

1 - Install the SAP.

2 - HSC Procedure. (This wya you can change the hostname and file path .)

Regards,

Edinaldo Junior

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

So I decided to go for the homogeneous system copy. Do the 2 methods you have mentioned outcome the same result?Using either 1 or 2, we will have the Sandbox system with the same SP level, kernel, etc... as my Dev ECC system?

The idea of both options you mentioned is the following in general terms?:

option 1.- export a backup with for example brtools and import the backup using sapinst.

option 2.-export using "Database and Central Instance Export" with sapinst and import using sapinst again.

Regards, Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Edinaldo,

I agree, I am going for the homogeneous system copy.

I am using Oracle DB.

1.-Done

2.-What do you mean with changing the host name?They already have different host name and I do not need to change it. I just want to make sure that using this method we will have the same SP level as the source system.

Regards, Marc

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

>So I decided to go for the homogeneous system copy. Do the 2 methods you have mentioned outcome the same result?Using either 1 or 2, we will have the Sandbox system with the same SP level, kernel, etc... as my Dev ECC system?

Answer is yes.On both method you will get the same result.

Note: Kernel Patch level might be different, if you have upgraded on Dev System and it will be different of the Sapinst which you have to manually upgrade later on.

Regards,

Subhash

Edited by: Subhash.Chandra on Jul 15, 2011 12:00 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subhash,

>Answer is yes.On both method you will get the same result.

There is a recommendation on which to use?

I read the "System Copy Guide -System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 ABAP+Java" and it states that the Database-Specific System copy (central system) has the following steps:

Source System:

1.-Run Sapinst-Database and Central Instance Export

2.-Generate the control file structure for the target DB

3.-Create Backup of the DB

Target System:

4.-Prepare target system

5.-Sapinst requests to install the DB and perform a DB backup/restore

Do you know what the step 1 does?It really confuses me that first there is a DB export in step 1 and then in step 3 a DB backup.

Regards, Marc

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

{Thanks Subhash,

>

> >Answer is yes.On both method you will get the same result.

> There is a recommendation on which to use?

I would prefer option 2, as you are creating sandbox from Dev, so manual work will be less. Just export the datababase and install a new system with that export.

> I read the "System Copy Guide -System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 ABAP+Java" and it states that the Database-Specific System copy (central system) has the following steps:

>

> Source System:

> 1.-Run Sapinst-Database and Central Instance Export

> 2.-Generate the control file structure for the target DB

> 3.-Create Backup of the DB

>

> Target System:

> 4.-Prepare target system

> 5.-Sapinst requests to install the DB and perform a DB backup/restore

> ...

>

> Do you know what the step 1 does?It really confuses me that first there is a DB export in step 1 and then in step 3 a DB backup.

Yes. You need Control file structure for the target system from the source system so that that file can be used for creating your database on your target system.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subhash,

>> Do you know what the step 1 does?It really confuses me that first there is a DB export in step 1 and then in step 3 a DB >>backup.

>Yes. You need Control file structure for the target system from the source system so that that file can be used for creating >your database on your target system.

Sorry I didnt mean step "2.-Generate the control file structure for the target DB". I meant be step 3. Why do you need DB back up in step 3 if we are doing a DB export in step 1?

Regards, Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Maic,

The Step 1 - DB export - It 'll create a dumo, like a mirror of the database. And When you are installing the target system, the SAPinst ask you about this " mirror" path.

I think it is a process.

The step 2 and step 3 is another process " another way" you can do a HSC.

The step 2 - In this step you need to get the controlfile strucrure in the Soruce System ( actual), for you know as the datafiles, redo, etc when you need to do the "handly" HSC.

The step 3 - Do a backup of Source System( HSC).

This backup + Controlfile, you can create new system too.

I hope help you.

Edinaldo Junior

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help guys.

Answers (0)