Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing timeout parameters

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

In this blog:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/06/08/xi-timeouts-timeouts-timeouts

mr Michal Krawczyk says changing parameters like xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default should be avoided. However our current problem is really the 180000 millisecond (=3minutes) limit that derives from this setting. Some RFC calls just take more time in the backend system.

Can this particular parameter be changed or not?

The parameter name "...default" sounds like it is just a default and you could override it with some other parameter. But this is just my imagination? I know that there exists parameter syncMessageDeliveryTimeoutMsec as a property of the RfcAdapter J2EE Service (Michal has also mentioned this), but the value of it is already much larger than xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default.

br: Kimmo

PS. I will not reward with points for answers like "optimize you backend RFC function modules and no timeout will occur".

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>Some RFC calls just take more time in the backend system.

did you change syncMessageDeliveryTimeoutMsec ?

this one controls RFC sync calls

this one you can increase

>>>>xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default.

this one is used for XI adapter

(sync java proxies for example)

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

No, I did not changed syncMessageDeliveryTimeoutMsec because it is sufficient already ( 300000 msec ). And the error message MessageExpiredException ( full error message is "com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.MessageExpiredException: Message 433f56a0-2e99-11db-b6e6-00112540039c(INBOUND)" comes exactly after 3minutes (=180000 msec), that's why I believe the limitation comes from the parameter xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default whose value is 180000.

To be honest, I have some doubts, that execution of RFC-function module does NOT take 3mins. I have tested the rfc fm with same parameters as timeouted messages with SE37 in the backend system and they run quickly. I have been thinking if the RFC-adapter have trouble receiving the call due to sudden system overload and therefore gives MessageExpiredException.

But why I cannot change the parameter xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default?

In your blog Michal you say it's denied in note 791379 but I don't find a word there that denies the change.

br: Kimmo

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>But why I cannot change the parameter xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default?

it's not denied - read the note

I changed it many months ago in one of the servers to 7 minutes

and everything is ok but it's up to you

Regards,

michal