cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch class suggestion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

Would appreciate your thoughts here. Are there any disadvantages if we have just one batch class with let's say around 200 characteristics in it and assign it to several materials instead of having several classes. I am looking at advantages and disadvantages here in general terms.

Thanks,

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not recommend that.

When you assign that many characterisitcs you can see performance issues. Every time you create a batch and classify the batch, (i.e. put at least value in a characteristic), the system creates a record for EVERY characteristic for that batch. Thus each batch would create 200 records. You might not see any issues right away. But as time goes on, batch search strategies, reports, etc.. will run slower.

Now I know what folks say. "Well, we don't use batch search strategies here." You might not right now. But I can almost guarantee that down the road, if you have any size to your business, someone is going to suggest setting up a FIFO strategy. Or a process to makes sure batches don't expire enroute to customers and have enough shelf life left on them upon arrival. Or to address specific customer requirements

i highly recommend that you carefully evaluate the use of batch classes and to error on the side of too many classes rather then to few.

The other issue is that should you ever need to change or modify a batch class on a material, it is almost impossible to change a batch class on a material. You are usually better off creating a whole new material rather then trying to change a materials batch class.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

let's say around 200 characteristics in it and assign it to several materials instead of having several classes

"Do you means to say Instead of having several class char???"

As class char resembles the uniqueness in materials,If all your material are exibits similer char then you can use all 200 char for all these materials.

I hope this is what you are expecting.