cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail attachment size

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Can you help me with some suggestions on the following problem.

I have a query which is running within a background job once per week.

As a result, a spool file with around 200 pages is created.

The result of the spool file needs to be distributed to a couple of users.

The problem that I face is the following.

My main idea was, to assign a distribution list within the job configuration in transaction SM37 (button "Spool list recipient") to the background job

so that the result will be forwarded by e-mail to the affected users.

Unfortunately the e-mail attachment which I received within my tests is incomplete.

It includes not the complete data.

I only received around 17 pages of the 200 existing pages.

Can someone tell me why I only receive a small part of the result of the background job and how I can get the complete result?

Can I somewhere adjust / configure an e-mail attachment size?

Thank you very much for you help on this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, there are limits for attachment size.

One is the limit of the MPI buffer size from the ICM.

Other limits can ben configured by parameters in table SXPARAMS.

To get the details, look for the OSS notes on the subject.

By the way sending big reports by mail is not necessary a good idea because it takes a lot of space in the database.

Think about implementing mail and attachment purges.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its depend on the domain server where you are sending the attached mail.

There is some restriction from the mail server. They have a setup and configuration to restrict the size of the attachment.

Nothing have to do from SAP level.

Thanks,

Prabhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Nothing have to do from SAP level.

Don't give false information : There are limits on most SMTP servers but there are also definitively limits set at the SAP level : Check table SXPARAMS.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

First of all thank you very much for your help on my question.

In the meantime I had also the chance to involve one of our developers into this topic.

He performed some tracing and finally discovered that some entries were missing in the table TSPOPTIONS (table for spool options).

To be honest I don't know if these values are missing by default or just in our system.

He added two new parameters.

BTC_FIRSTLINE with the value 1

BTC_LASTLINE with the value 2147483647 (as far as I heard this is the maxmimum value that you can set for this parameter).

Afterwards I executed the background job.

This time it created an e-mail attachement with all pages of the query result.

So by adding these two parameters to the table TSPTOPTIONS, it solved my problem.

Unfortuntaley I am now discoverring a new problem.

In SCOT I am getting the error message "No delivery because message too long, maximum length 20.000.000 bytes."

So now our Exchange server is not willed to forward the mail and that is correct in this case.

The attachment size is definitely too large.

So I need to start to look for another solution as proposed by Olivier.

By the way, I also adjusted the table SXPARAMS and added the parameter MAXLEN_MIME_MESSAGE_SMTP as described in note 1171138.

This parameter had no affect on my problem.

I removed it again before our developer added the two new parameters to TSPOPTIONS.

Best regards

MADFISI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the limit is not in SXPARAMS, check the parameter mpi/total_size_MB.

By the way 20 MB is just, in my opinion, much too big for email. There is a big chance that, if you succed to unlock the SAP limit, you will find the SMTP server limit...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olivier,

again thank you for your investigations but there is no need anymore for my problem.

My main problem was solved by setting the parameters BTC_FIRSTLINE and BTC_LASTLINE in the table TSPOPTIONS.

The problem that I am now facing is, as I wrote, the attachement limitation that is given by our Exchange server (20 MB).

But that is ok.

I was not aware that the attachment would reach a size of more than 20 MB and here I fully agree with you.

20 MB is much to big for an attachment.

So I will not use the attachement solution anymore.

I need to find another solution to distribute the documents to the affected users.

Again thank you very much for your help.

Request solved.

Best regards

MADFISI

Answers (0)