cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port for SAPSprint

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I hoping someone can answer the quick question I have about SAPSprint. We have installed SAPSprint on a print server and we're running it under port 516 becuase Windows TCP/IP print service is running on 515. I have opened port 516 on the firewall between SAP and the SAPSprint. Can anyone tell me what port will be used between SAPSprint and the printer? I think it will be 515, is this correct?

Regards

Pete

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Please correct me if I am wrong,

but I would say that the port 515 / in your case 516 is just used to receive the spool information which is forwarded from your SAP system to your print server.

The port will not be used later on to forward the spool information to the printer.

The server will take other ports for establishing a connection from server to the printer.

I created a test on one of our print servers and traced the network traffic.

Our server used always different UDP and TCP ports to forward the traffic to the printer.

For each spool request the server opened one UDP and one TCP session.

For example

UDP port 1027 (server) to UDP port 161 (printer) and afterwards

TCP port 1062 (server) to UDP port 9100 (printer)

For another spool request the server used the following ports:

UDP port 1027 (server) to UDP port 161 (printer) and afterwards

TCP port 1079 (server) to UDP port 9100 (printer)

If you have the possebilities, try to trace the connections to see which ports are used.

But I would also say that in this case you don't need to take care about the outgoing connections from your server to the printer.

With your incomming firewall rule on port 515 / in your case 516 I think you already did a good job.

Best regards

MADFISI

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, SAP will talk to SAPSprint in port 516 and SAPSprint will talk to the TCP/IP printer in the default port 515

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read the [documentation|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/d9/4a91c651ea11d189570000e829fbbd/content.htm]... you should use the default port 515

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

The documentation clearly says:

"Leave the default value 515. Change the port number only if the Windows TCP/IP print service is also running on the installation host."

So it's for this reason I have changed the port so SAPSprint listens on 516. My question is what port will be used to communicate to the printer? Will it be 516 or the default 515 ?

Regards

Pete