cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the Service Registry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I am currently writing a report on the need for our company's SAP interfaces to be moved from the Visual Studio 2003/SAP .NET Connector 1.0 platform to one of the two more up-to-date technologies: ESOA or SAP .NET Connector 3.0.

My question is regarding the SAP Services Registry. I understand that a web service is created in Visual Studio, deployed to a local web server, and then to the RS. Where should the RS reside? We are a global company and our interface is used in about 40 sites - will there be one RS for all of these sites?

Sorry, if this is very naive. I'm just beginning to get to grips with this topic.

Many thanks,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

The most important thing here is that the Service Registry is only relevant during design-time, not at runtime. The webservice itself won't be deployed to the SR, the webservice WSDL (along with additional information on usage & security restrictions) will be published in the SR. The SR is like a listing of your available Provider Webservices, with controlled access.

You'll need to elaborate a bit more on the 40 sites statement, i.e. will they be developing their own consumer service for your one service? If they are, they will only need to access the SR initially to get the WSDL during development, thereafter at runtime, they will call the runtime endpoint defined by you & not the SR.

They will only visit the SR again if the service contract changes from your side and you have a new WSDL. Even then, they can work with an offline WSDL that you provide them so SR connectivity in not mandatory.

Regards, Trevor

Answers (0)