cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sOme use cases in SAP XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to find reasons or some particular use cases when "business Logic" WILL have to be handled in SAP PI/ XI .. Interfaces are quite simple and trouble-free when the logic is dumped into the SAP side (probably ABAP)...

some use cases where in logic would eventually end up in SAP PI is what I am looking for.. .

Also, clarify my understanding that within SAP PI business logic should be only minimal..

Regards,

XA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member854360
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In PI usually we try not to maintain business logic.

only we perform data conversion(Mapping).

Business logic can be handled by ABAP or JAVA Proxy

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that is useful to demand logic to ABAP side,

and in XI create interfaces as simple as possible, working only on data conversions, system variables (file & directory names, ecc..), split & merge messages, and things like that.

Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Fabio.

thanks for pitching in your inputs in our discussion...

Your reply has lead me to ask.. like what would be the major role of a PI consultant in a given project..? Design Teck Speck.. Implement it, Test it, Transport and offer support???? and how redundant the tasks in SAP PI are ? if it is not advisable to get business logic in to SAP PI .. .

how can and in what case one would have to go for things like Java mappings(simple/complex) , XSLT mappings and other advanced concepts???? Based on your experience , can you offer some insight on an average basis ,what percent of real- time PI projects would actually require them...

thanks

XA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank u for your inputs.. esp Raja.. the document is intersting..

@ Debasish.. Can u explain like what kind of data conversions ?? cant they be handled in the aBAP side too?

Thanks

XA

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

some times we implement business logic in PI mapping, some times in ECC it self.

When you integrate ECC with some otheR system using PI most of the time we write business logic in ECC.

former_member854360
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Raja told.

You can write the business logic in ECC by using ABAP Proxy.

And if you are intregrating your system with external JAVA AS or SAP JAVA WEB Application Server then

You can write logic in Java Proxy.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/ABAPProxy-EnterpriseServices

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Java/JavaProxyChangesinPI7.1fromPI7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Raja,

will the XI consultant decide whether to embed business logic in the ECC side? or how does it work? and is it done purely based on the nature of the interfaces independently ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Debasish

Thanks for your clarification.... Can you let me know some real-time examples of external JAVA AS or SAP JAVA WEB Application Servers ?

Regards

XA

former_member854360
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP JAVA WEB AS: SAP Netweaver JAVA Application server

Standalone JAVA AS: Some Java application server

Java application serversThe Web modules include servlets, JavaServer Pages and Enterprise JavaBeans. Business logic resides in Enterprise JavaBeans - a modular server component providing many features, mostly improving application scalability. The Hibernate project offers an EJB-3 container implementation for the JBoss application server. Tomcat from Apache and JOnAS from ObjectWeb exemplify typical containers that can store these modules. The EAServer is from Sybase inc.

A Java Server Page (JSP) (a servlet from Java u2014 the Java equivalent of a CGI script) executes in a Web container. JSPs provide a way to create HTML pages by embedding references to the server logic within the page. HTML coders and Java programmers can work side by side by referencing each other's code from within their own.

The application servers mentioned above mainly serve Web applications. Some application servers target networks other than web-based ones: Session Initiation Protocol servers, for instance, target telephony networks.

Web Server is a sub set but the Application server is a super set and hence encompasses the past server information that is been stored in database

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can check in sap.com for client experience

here is one document.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20456b29-bb11-2a10-b481-d283a0fce...