Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fly currency conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm having difficulty with the on the fly currency conversion

I have followed the steps detailed in the article /people/rohit.kamath/blog/2010/07/28/inner-workings-of-currency-conversion-functionality-in-spend-performance-management-21

I can:

1) I see the currency variable selected in the "datasource properties" as SSA_TARGET_CURR.

2) for the measure in question it is set up in the "measure properties" as having a local and document currency amount

3) In the query, it is set up as per the above article in that the "Conversion Type" is entered, but the "Target Currency" is left blank

When executing the currency conversion, the currency does not convert and instead displays the currency in the document amount.

It will however work if i put the "Target Currency" to be assigned to the variable "SSA_TARGET_CURR".

Is there an additional overhead if i do put the "Target Currency" to the variable "SSA_TARGET_CURR"?

Should it work without this being assigned?

Kind regards,

Neil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

1) Correct.

2) Correct, so when the user selects the global measure in a report and requests the system to display 'local' & 'document' currency the system finds out form the screen what measures to add to the report.

3) The target currency is left blank so the user can select what currency they want to see their measure converted to.

Also mentioned in the article the system converts the data from the document currency of the measure to the target currency. If in your system the data is still displayed without any conversion there could be multiple reasons:

- You have not maintained the currency conversion from that specific document currency to target currency selected in the UI

- You have not maintained the currency conversion for this specific date range (document date)

- You have not maintained the currency conversion for this specific conversion type selected

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Point three - the field is left blank. What I would have expected is that this field contain the SSA_TARGET_CURR variable so that indeed, the user can select the currency.

When I select this variable for this key figure, the currency completes the conversion. This leads me to believe that the all data is necessary for the currency conversion is present. Furthermore we have coded currency conversion within the transformations as we have not used the data management tool. These currency conversions work correctly.

I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to populating the target currency with the variable as the method of leaving it unpopulated does not seem to work.

Kind regards,

Neil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

The target currency in the currency conversion variable is left blank, the value for this is passed from the value that user selects in the UI during report execution.

What do you mean by 'currency conversion is coded within the transformation', looks like you requirement is a bit different than what the system tried to do. May be we need to jump on a call and discuss this further.

Regards,

Rohit