Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a profile name changes into 12 char string..

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello everyone,

i want to know when a profile name changes into 12 character string.. it is 10 chars when i click on generate button in auth tab of pfcg. pls answer

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

The 12 characters is the numbering of the authorisation within the profile. If you look at the profile name it will be something like T-AB123456

SAP will number each instance of an authorisation (auth object with values) with the profile name + a counter from 00 - 99

To illustrate, look in a role at auth object S_TCODE. It will likely be numbered <profile name>00 where 00 is the first instance of that authorisation. If you have multiple authorisations for an auth object then the numbering will increase sequentially. If you are chopping and changes auths frequently then you will see the numbers increasing. If they hit 99 then an authorisation re-org will happen where the numbering is reset (for the whole role). There is a menu option to force this (I think it is authorisation re-org) but I can remember exactly which it is.

0 Kudos

OP, 1st sorry to hack into your thread.

There is a menu option to force this (I think it is authorisation re-org) but I can remember exactly which it is.

Does it end up with organizing numbering only? Or it has any other actions as well. There is one more option "Redraw". What does it do?

Regards,

Arpan Paik

0 Kudos

I think it just resets the counters (I don't have something to hand to check it).

If I remember correctly the redraw is from 4.0 days when the representation of the auth structure in the auths tab could get confused for big roles. I may be completely way off the mark though as it was 11 years ago!

0 Kudos

Thanks for the way of start. Will do some test sometimes later. The reson for interest is, back in starting days I mistakenly clicked on any of these 2 option. The role turned out to be yellow in many tree. I rectified that with respect to production system without letting anyone know ;-). Almost forgot about it, but this thread brings it up.

Regards,

Arpan Paik

0 Kudos

Hi Alex

Going back 12 years on 'god only knows SAP release' I remember seeing the message after countless iterations of a role during UAT and other silly changes.

Never did spot what it did to the profile numbering but I am sure it got really fed up with all the changes I kept making to it during my experiments - more white mice than I care to remember...

In the real world would anybody expect to hit the 99 limit?

Regards

David

0 Kudos

Hi David,

I can't say that I've reached that limit since that project (for a UK-based broadcasting organisation). If we missed it then pfcg did it automatically when you hit the limit anyway.

arpan_paik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To OP,

Have you note that alphabet comprises 2 charaters in SAP?

Regards,

Arpan Paik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From your question, I infer that you would like to know when the profile name will be displayed in a 12 character length. If yes, here is the answer. If the # of authorization objects in a profile are more than 150, a sub profile will be created to store from the 151th authorization object and this profile name will be prefixed with additional 2 number (01, 02, 03 etc.,) will be added which makes the profile name 12 characters.

Hope this answers.

Rgds,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Raghu wrote:

from the 151th authorization object and this profile name will be prefixed with additional 2 number (01, 02, 03 etc.,) will be added which makes the profile name 12 characters.

This is not correct.

The sub profile will be associated with additional one number (1, 2, 3 etc...) and not (01, 02, 03 etc...)

Edited : Actually a profile never has 10 character. Let's take example for profile name T-D1764263

T & D = 2 char in SAP

Rest are 1 char in SAP so total T-D1764263 is 12 char not 10.

Regards,

Arpan Paik

Edited by: P Arpan on Jul 15, 2011 5:15 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Arpan,

Good theory.. May I have any documentation reference or link that provides more information on the length of the profile??

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Good theory..

It is...

May I have any documentation reference or link that provides more information on the length of the profile??

I will give you a hint.... It's in a SAP Note. Hope it will not trouble you to find that out

Regards,

Arpan Paik